Texmex or Mansona can you help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have read most other topics on the forum regarding fitting french doors but I am just about to take the plunge myself and order new PVC double glazed french doors to be fitted by myself . I have not fitted upvc windows or doors before and wanted to ask for some advice to ensure I order everything I need. I am aware that I need to make an application to the council for approval under the Building Regulations (FEASA) which I will do. But I have a list of questions that I am unsure about that I was hoping someone could advise me on.
Just to put anyone in the picture I am replacing an existing DG window with french doors on the back of my terraced property. The size of the french doors will be 2400mm by 1600mm (width is same as the existing window) I will take 10mm off these sizes for fitting. An odd height :eek: :eek: size I know, but I have decided to use the existing lintal that is currantly above the window which will make the doors high. Now for the questions!!
Regarding the height, would it be advisable to order a more standard door size of around 2100 in height with the frame 2400 in height, and maybe have 2 pices of glazing in the frame above the doors?
What is K glass and should I ask for this?
What type of lock should I ask for?
Should there be metal within the frame I order, to strengthen it?
Besides the frame,doors, DG units, handles & locks what other bits will I need to complete the job, eg spacers to screw between the frame and brick, toe and heels wedges, upvc trim to hide any gaps, external sealant ect and should I be able to get these from the manufacture? (Incidentally its Malbern Windows in Denton Manchester).
About the cil, should I get one for the inside as well as outside from the supplier?
Regarding the leangth measurment, I have measured from the top of the existing window to the top of the brick which looks like the same level of the internal floor. Should I take the bricks out below the window down to this point, take the old mortor off the top of the brick and replace with new mortor of about 10mm to screw the cil into?
Is it nessasary to render and the replace the bricks below the window as apose to cutting streight through them?
My oppologies if my questions seem a bit all over the place but I am just trying to get my head around what I need to order? what I need to do the job? And how best to do it. With as few problems as possible.

Sponsored Links
I'm sorry I didn't see your old post, will you still need the information?

Oh still alive are you!! :evil: and no thanks I have done it now.
Anyhow, I know it was a bit war and peace but as a result, because you or the other fella did not give me all the answers. I only had to go out and learn it all myself which did not turn out to be a bad thing. It was a good lesson and I learnt a lot.
Take it easy Mansona ;)

Sponsored Links
:rolleyes: :) Looks like the nothing changes, if your post counts not high enough they dont want to help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back