Textured Suede Paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently tried a tester of the following product (Chocolate Suede):-

http://www.crownpaint.co.uk/help-and-advice/product/crown-fashion-for-walls-suede.htm

And really like it.

What is the best way to actually apply this paint using a brush? the tin recommends haphazard strokes, i.e. not all in the same direction.

I was wondering if anyone else had used this paint and could advise what type of brush / what brush/hand strokes work best.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Well I have used this particular system yet you might find that using it may not offer you the results of which you hope for, with regard to the random brush strokes this is paramount to achieve the natural suede effect of this product. If you get the method of application correct it will indeed look rather nice.

Dec

I've only used suede effect paint a few times and not for a while now but the method that generally works best is random criss cross strokes of differing lengths (around 4"-12") with a 4" brush. Dont stop in the middle of a wall, use the criss cross method right into the corners and don't be tempted to go over anything that looks to be drying unevenly - that is the nature of the beast.
I'm not sure if it's still the same but it was recommended to apply one coat to basically cover the walls and then a second to achieve the desired effect.

I've only used suede effect paint a few times and not for a while now but the method that generally works best is random criss cross strokes of differing lengths (around 4"-12") with a 4" brush. Dont stop in the middle of a wall, use the criss cross method right into the corners and don't be tempted to go over anything that looks to be drying unevenly - that is the nature of the beast.
I'm not sure if it's still the same but it was recommended to apply one coat to basically cover the walls and then a second to achieve the desired effect.
Many thanks. Yeah its the same - recommends two coats to get the desired effect.

I'll give it a go and post how I get on!

Sponsored Links
Yes it is a two coat application yet if you were to apply this system using criss cross brush strokes you would not achieve the desired effect, The method is in nature random. Natural suede will tend to differ in appearance in certain lights and that is why it has to be a random brush finish thus producing that type of effect.

The effect of which you are trying to achieve is in a sense a faux finish look so it has to be both random and uniform, when a Decorator paints on an emulsion paint using a brush he will both flirt and twirl his brush in many differing directions, he then using light upward strokes lay the system back in order to achieve a smooth finish.

With this system in simple terms dont lay off and apply both in a random and uniform manner and whatever you do dont apply this system adopting any form of criss cross technique.

Dec

No the random method is the way to apply this system, brush stokes done in a criss cross manner wil only tend to the offer the appearence of a noughts and crosses board minus the noughts..

Dec

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back