TFU with new pasterboard ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Put up a new 'lowered ceiling' with 12mm plasterboard in the bathroom - the boards came from B&Q and did not have the dropped thinner edge for taping - so like a clown i did not tape/fill the joints - i did not see this as a problem as all the joins (2 across the room) were finished edge - edge to edge no gap joins. Also we were going to double cross line the plasterboard before painting the ceiling so i expected even one layer of the lining paper to bridge this join without any problems. Having decided to keep the old art decco centre light fitting and not fitting downlighters we find that even with two layers of 1200 lining paper at 90 degrees we can see slight shadow shallow depressions in the lining paper where the boards join. Having a bulb at ceiling height is of course the worst possible lighting conditions and shows this boo boo up very obviously - even after two coats of paint. We have just totally refurbished the bathroom and this issue is spoiling a really nicely finished room.

Any quick fixes or do i have to remove the lining paper (now under the cornice - we lined the ceiling before installing the cornice) and start again after skimming the joints.

Ideas suggestions PLEASE!!!

thanks

David

Sponsored Links
Any quick fixes
No not really. You must always tape the joins regardless or it will show & any filler will crack.
or do i have to remove the lining paper (now under the cornice - we lined the ceiling before installing the cornice) and start again after skimming the joints.
Remove the lining paper (if you can), undercut it off at the cornice with a Stanley knife, tape the joins & get the whole ceiling skimmed. It will look much better than lining paper which your taking a big risk with in a damp bathroom environment anyway.

Taper edge boards are intended for tape & fill (personally I hate it), if you tape & fill square edge boards, you will have to blend in over a very large area to “loose” the join; you might as well do a proper job & get the whole ceiling skimmed.

If you want it to look it's best David, you will have to take the paper off, tape the joints and sand them down,,,, then after priming the ceiling, you could re-paper it. If it was me though, i'd tape the joints, skim the ceiling, then emulsion it,, saves papering it.

youngroughcaster ;) ;)

Sponsored Links
as above i would take richards and yrc advice cut it at the cornice take it off and skim even if you couldn't see it through the paper i suspect you will soon have cracks running along where you didn't tape it, no quick fixes im afraid but not hard to do and less than a days work

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back