th

Sponsored Links
Call an electrician as a matter of urgency. Do not use the bathroom until the problem is solved.

You are describing an almost perfect scenario for you to be killed by electrocution.

Call an electrician as a matter of urgency. Do not use the bathroom until the problem is solved.

You are describing an almost perfect scenario for you to be killed by electrocution.

^^ Do exactly what the post above says, by the sounds of it you have a fault somewhere .
All water,gas & oil pipes should be bonded. Thats an earth which is conected to the main earth supply that will take away the electric and leave you safe. I am currently doing a electrics course now and i am just about to cover this in more detail, but i do know its not safe. Please do not ignore the problem , it really is unsafe.

All water,gas & oil pipes should be bonded. Thats an earth which is conected to the main earth supply that will take away the electric and leave you safe..

Not strictly true - the purpose of equipotential bonding is to try and keep all exposed/extraneous conductive parts as close to the same potential as possible so that in an earth fault situation there are no dangerous potential differences between them during the time it takes a protective device to operate.

Sponsored Links

Agree it needs to be checked. You need to tell the electrician the exact circumstances when you felt the tingle. To get a severe shock there has to be two points of contact for a current to flow through the body.

Bare feet on a damp floor with defective electric under floor heating could be one of the points of contact and the hands on the taps the other one.

It is possible to get a mild and practically harmless tingle when one point of contact is a capacitively connected "contact". This is how neon screwdrivers get the "power" to light the neon, the user's body is capacitively "in contact" with ground. When standing on an electrically heated floor that does not have a good earth it is possible for the person's body to be capacitively "in contact" with Live and thus the second point of contact is the corectly earthed ( or bonded ) taps and water. If that is the case then the under floor heating needs to be checked.

All water,gas & oil pipes should be bonded. Thats an earth which is conected to the main earth supply that will take away the electric and leave you safe..

Not strictly true - the purpose of equipotential bonding is to try and keep all exposed/extraneous conductive parts as close to the same potential as possible so that in an earth fault situation there are no dangerous potential differences between them during the time it takes a protective device to operate.
And in fact equipotential bonding like that is not connected to the main earth terminal....

I believe the pipes on the bathroom was bonded now is there any way to test that has been done correctly without stripping all the tiles and bathtub...
many thanks for all your replay and advice.

I believe the pipes on the bathroom was bonded now is there any way to test that has been done correctly without stripping all the tiles and bathtub...
many thanks for all your replay and advice.
Yes, but a lack of bonding is unlikely to cause the dangerous situation you are in unless there is another fault. Please get an electrician, who will have the necessary test equipment to locate the fault or faults.

And in fact equipotential bonding like that is not connected to the main earth terminal....

Water, gas and oil MEBs are connected to the main earthing terminal !

I was assuming that the incoming water/gas/oil pipes did not enter the property in the bathroom.

As the room in question was a bathroom, I thought he was talking about supplementary....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back