Thames Water wants 5k to change pipes..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
I need your advise..I'm desperate!!
I have a terraced victorian house built loooong time ago. At the moment I have 2 bathrooms with a water flow of 6l/min - as per British Gas inspector. I'm doing a loft conversion and adding 2 bathrooms - as per BG advise wanted to increase the water flow by replacing the pipes but Thames Water wants 5k to do the job as the water supply is on the other side of the road!!!
Please help - what are other options of making it work?? I dont want to have 2 extra bathrooms which I will not be able to use...
I have to add that there is no space for the tank..

Your advise is greatly appreciated!!

Sponsored Links
Thanks but then I will also need a hot water heater and the space is very limited...

Any other options??

That mains water flow rate is so slow that it's likely there's a restriction somewhere like an old stopcock, so have a good look first. You also need to know what the pressure is, that's measured in Bar.
The BG man who came (to quote for a boiler??) may not be the best person to advise on that.
Are you in a soft or hard water area? If soft, some water authorities will replace your old lead pipe free ifyou upgrade the internal p[ipe to meet current standards.
Even so, with 3 bathrooms you'll probably need to store water. The Home booster mentioned by picasso has a 200L store inside it which wouldn't be enough for 3 showers (or baths particularly), so it would need an additional tank of similar size. Tanks come in all shapes, including eaves etc. You're only "short" of space if you decide that it all has to be lived in! You'll probably want to store hot water too. It would be possible to use a Combi boiler to heat enough water to get showers, as long as you restrict their flow to make sure it all works. If you want 3 super showers you'd need a very large cold water tank.
One option for the third shower might be to use an electric one. That saves reliance on a gas boiler, and only uses 4 lites/minute of water.

Sponsored Links
Hi ChrisR,
Thank you for your reply! I forgot to add that I already have a combi boiler vaillant which services 2 baths (actually 1 as we have electric shower in the 2nd one) So the tank would only be need it for the 2 new baths upstairs. After careful planning we might be able to squeeze a water tank - is the one suggested before OK or will I need to find space for water heater too?
I will call Thames Water again to get them to check the pipes and water pressure..

I have a terraced victorian house built loooong time ago. :eek: :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back