Thank you, thank you

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We were out in the conservatory last night until 3.30am basking in 18 degrees while the cat was shivering outside. A tankful of hot water awaited the morning bathers and every rad in the house was stone cold with the domestic CH switched off.

It works! The new system is completely sorted, running like a Swiss watch, with no stray heat creeping into the house rads. And you wonderful guys played a big part in this.

My last posting ("Odd setup") brought some hugely valuable advice that has saved us a great deal of disruption and expense. The solution was, indeed, to re-route the return to a point near the boiler port - it has cured the backflow problem completely.

A great big thank you to AlanE, DP, Mandate, Kev, AdamW, ChrisR and the enigmatic Oilman for helping me sort this out, and to everyone else who has listened to my rants and ramblings along the way.

One small problem remains: the auto bypass valve is still conntect to the "wrong" side of the return (on the upstairs circuit) and feeds a little heat back into the system when it's forced open under low load conditions. But the effect is slight and it really isn't worth all the hassle of moving it. I presume this won't have any ill effects.

You won't be hearing from me so much now. Like many contributers to this site, I started out as just another here-today-gone-tomorrow DIYer except the "tomorrow" lasted more than two months. And I got hooked!

I now know why you professionals have to charge what seem at first like extortionate amounts for your work. It’s not easy installing a new boiler into a clapped-out system. You could have done it quicker than me but the satisfaction of ripping out that 30-year-old old, stinking, soot-encrusted Redfyre, redesigning the engine room and installing all new kit, and finally getting it running to perfection, has been enormous.

The banter on this site has been part of the fun. Why you pro’s even bother with us idiots I don’t know. The great Oilman, dispensing his wisdom like the disembodied “Creator” in a Star Trek movie, remains the biggest mystery of all. I have no idea who he is, or where he is, except that the odd remark leads me to think he lives not too far away from here. Some day we might meet. And if we do, I hope it’s while he is canvassing votes for the role of Deputy Prime Minister. He’s certainly got mine.

Thank you all, guys,. It’s been a privilege to be in the company of such knowledgeable and generous people.

Paul

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back