The appearance of Crack above window on outside wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone, I hope that someone here may be able to give me some advice.
I have discovered a crack that runs along my outside wall, along the top of my lounge window and I don't know what to do, but need to do something pretty soon as is getting worse. Do you think it might be worth me sealing it up with some kind of filler until I can find someone to fix it? Do you think this is a job for a builder or window tradesperson? I have no idea why the crack has appeared. Fortunately, I can see no sign of water ingress on the inside. I have noticed that when it rains, I can hear it on my window and the window ledge which I can't recollect it doing before.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Attachments

• crack.jpg
    crack.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 54
  • crack1.jpg
    crack1.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 55
Sponsored Links
Here are some more photos. Thanks.

Attachments

• crack 3.jpg
    crack 3.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 48
  • crack 4.jpg
    crack 4.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 46
  • crack 5.jpg
    crack 5.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 47
  • crack 6.jpg
    crack 6.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 47
  • crack 7.jpg
    crack 7.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 54
How long have the windows been in?

Looks to me like the render ' edging 'has moved

Sponsored Links
I'm no builder but to me that possibly looks like they used a galvanised stop bead for the edge and when rendering up could have scratched off parts of the galvanising with their float causing it to rust and now its just blown causing the cracking, I would imagine its just a case of chopping off the same flat area of render and re doing it but this time using stainless steel stop beads

Thank you for your messages ronniecabers and crank39. The windows have been in for about 6 years. I had a builder come around between Christmas and the New Year and he said the same as you crank39. At least I know it is not too major and the windows aren't going to fall out. I appreciate your time in replying. Happy New Year!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back