The best flat roof material?

I believe in the product I install. Has EPDM been around long enough to test its durability?
I would always choose EPDM over felt but I've NEVER seen a "pretty" EPDM roof.
Customers want durability and asthetics, if you're going to spend money on your home to improve it surely you want the best??
In my opinion copper IS the best material available and is probably only twice the price of EPDM. If someone would give me a guarantee of 150+ years for EPDM then I would choose it for myself but that will never happen.
If you truely believe that EPDM is better than copper then you must know something I don't................
........................I'm just waiting to be convinced.

I want the general public to know copper, zinc and stainless steel are a genuine option, they will make their own minds up because it's their hard earned money they are spending. If local authorities are convinced to put zinc on social housing then we must be doing something right.

Sponsored Links
I believe in the product I install. Has EPDM been around long enough to test its durability?
I would always choose EPDM over felt but I've NEVER seen a "pretty" EPDM roof.
Customers want durability and asthetics, if you're going to spend money on your home to improve it surely you want the best??
In my opinion copper IS the best material available and is probably only twice the price of EPDM. If someone would give me a guarantee of 150+ years for EPDM then I would choose it for myself but that will never happen.
If you truely believe that EPDM is better than copper then you must know something I don't................
........................I'm just waiting to be convinced.

I want the general public to know copper, zinc and stainless steel are a genuine option, they will make their own minds up because it's their hard earned money they are spending. If local authorities are convinced to put zinc on social housing then we must be doing something right.

Well I've read that thousands of square metres of Firestone EPDM has been installed in the USA, Over 40 years ago.....Hot and Freezing cold areas with no come backs ever? It's also been fitted onto flat roofs in very warm countries like Dubai, etc

If copper is that good why is'nt everybody fitting it??

That dont include new house builds because they dont have flat roofs except a tiny bay window or tiny ledge above a front door.

Most new builds have pitched roofs.

Quite right, I can't show any evidence. However I do have my mates word who has worked in Canada fitting it. Thats all I have sorry.

But I'd like to here from ppl on here who have had it fitted?

Sponsored Links
It is by far the most durable roofing material on the market today, a common gaurantee would be 200+ years.

You are having a chuckle right?
So my great great grandson will have to contact Derek Acorah and Yvette Fielding if the roof gets a leak?

I'm looking into getting my extension re-roofed and only really want to use EPDM as it seems so much better than felt. I was told the only reason they can say it lasts 40 years is because thats how old the oldest EPDM roof is.

No felt roof would last 40 years let alone be able to say it will last at least 40 years.

Of course all the felt guys I talk to say EPDM is rubbish and it doesnt last.

hahahahahahaha

It makes me laugh........... felt roofers only endorse felt, EPDM roofers only endorse EPDM, tilers/slaters only endorse tiles/slates etc etc.........

And they all hate metal roofs!

The only zinc roof i've replaced was 124 years old! FACT. I've never replaced a copper/stainless steel roof so it's probably good for treble that.

The reason others roofers hate us is because we're taking valuable work from them and they won't be getting repeat custom due to the durability.

Buildings that are built to last (castles, museums, hospitals) all have metal roofs.

Still waiting to see a "pretty" EPDM roof..........................

If you were offered a free covering for your roof no expense spared, what would you choose?

You wouldn't choose copper........would you?

It is funny how everyone discredits other roofing materials.

Actually I'm thinking I'll try and get a quote for Zinc now. Doubt I'll get any good quotes in my area.

hardmetalking -Shame your not in Sussex I've got three flat roofs!
Can you give me an idea on price for Zinc per sq meter, guarantee and anything I should look out for. Cheers.

The obvious reason why 90% of homeowners choose an affordable roofing system that is going to last in the realms of 20 years is because this satisfies the period of time most people expect to be in a certain house.

Blathering about 200+ lifespan is not gonna float the boat or a bloke who is only expected to live for 75 years!!!!! :rolleyes: :LOL:

Zinc can look nice..sometimes a bit factory like but not bad.
We have replaced a zinc roof a lot less than 100 years old.. and constantly strip out zinc soakers that have failed in under 60 years.. while lead soakers might be clogged a bit with crud, they will be servicable.

bosyuk..............

why can't I quote for them?

I worked all over the UK for many years, I'm sure I can be competitive with local firms.

Private message me.

I must have ripped up every type of roof covering during my career, so my opinion isn't based on favouritism but quality and life span.

Best material for gutters, gulleys - Asphalt. Probably polymer modified, once ripped up an asphalt roof that was over 80 years old, it had actually started fossilising and wasn't even leaking!

For dormers/bay windows - lead, zinc, copper, alloy, they all dopretty much the same job, your choice all comes down to the area you live in and age of building

For flat roofs - A good felt system laid properly will last 40-50 years, my Dad has shown me roofs he did in the early sixties in felt, still there!

For flat roofs - A good felt system laid properly will last 40-50 years, my Dad has shown me roofs he did in the early sixties in felt, still there!
I have seen them failed from 10yrs to 38yrs so far only because the early flat roofs failed because not fitted correctly, the most common problems in the early days was the chipboards turning into weetabit with no proper cross flow ventilation and not enough firring height chipping stones etc but building regs improves over the years

Best type I have seen are the T&G exterior plywood with glue to minimize any expansion, flat asphalts roof are getting better and better as we have moved on now for better materials such as polymer modified bitumen also known as Olexobit pioneered by BP, I used to work in the Oil refinery in Bitumen production and we have moved on now since the old grade of 95/25 pen for flat roof.

It's nice to have a choice of difference type of flat roofings, at the end of the day it's your money!

IMO, I think I would still go for bitumen/asphalts flat roof because in my situation it's value for money in a few years, having said that, I've put a pitch tiles roof over my old flat roof :) It was 19yrs old on chipboards with no problem at the time........

The problem is, there are some asphalts roofer out there are not experience enough.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back