The best type of boiler for us

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Your advice is needed for the best type of boiler for us.

I live in a two bedroom flat with 6 radiators. I need lots of hot water with a quick supply as We have daily baths. having researched the relative merits of both the condensing boiler especially the baxi 130 he and the standard efficiency combi boiler.

I'm left somewhat confused by the attitudes of gas engineers. Some we have consulted say they would be happy to install the baxi 130 he, while others say it is too powerful for my property and wouldn't run efficiently.

On checking the installation and servicing instructions baxi 130 he would provide us with ample hot water and the central heating is factory set at 25.1 kW (condensing mode 40 degrees) even though heat output is 31.4 kW. I though this would suit us; powerful DHW but less power for CH.

Are the gas engineers who showed reluctance to set up baxi 130 he right when they say it's too powerful for our needs?

Please advise us.

Sponsored Links
I need lots of hot water with a quick supply as We have daily baths.

So why are you so desperate for a combi?

First you need to have an adequate water supply, but combi boilers do not provide lots of hot water quickly, 10 minutes to fill a bath is not uncommon.

To add to Oliman's post- gas line suitable for gas hungry combi boiler.

I haven't looked it up but I'm sure most combis will turn down to well below 20 kW on the heating side. 5 rads is common, you wouldn't have any problems at all.

A hot bath tap will give you about 20 litres a minute at 55 (or more) from a HW tank with the cold tank on the floor above, whereas a 130 combi will give something like 14 l/min at 35 degs rise ( or less water with a greater temp rise) from the incoming main - which will only be 5 degs in the winter. We all bath at about 45.
Um sorry if you can't follow my ramblings - it means you'll take twice as long to fill the bath with a combi.

But it will supply baths for ever, and save you lots of space. Previous advice on water and gas supplies is important though.

Condensing or not? You won't have enormous bills - I'd avoid them for a year or two yet. OK call me a philistine.

Sponsored Links
OK call me a philistine.

OK you're a philistine :D:

A year or two? The desirable Mrs Beckett says you are going to be using them exclusively from next year, I thought. :?:

Thank you for your advice, guys.
I have another question regarding condensing boilers that's bugging me, which is at the top of the board.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back