The correct way to join or extend cables

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, ive been told various different ways on how to join cables, just one cable with terminal strip, how about if you cant get terminal strip in there, ive been told cripmping cables is ok as it doesnt qualify as an inspection area, please advise thanks

Sponsored Links
crimping is better for a permanent joint. Buy a good ratchet crimper. I got a CK one on fleabay that does 0.5-6.0mm. most of the cheap ones are rubbish. the sort used on car electrics are not strong enough.

Be ready to pay £15 to £20 and that is a good price.

blocks are a lot better if you are ever going to want to open the joint again (otherwise you will have to cut off the crimp and lose cable length).

crimps are a permanent fix so do not need to be accessible for later inspection and retightening, as blocks must be.

many thanks mate, thats what i may do when i extend one of the cables to add my socket into the ring we previously discussed.

thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back