Extend a Ring Main using SpliceLine

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am having my internal kitchen/dining room wall removed and on either side there are plug sockets. I am going to remove the sockets and add one to part of the wall that will remain.

The only problem is the cables are not long enough. Am I OK to extend the cables using SpliceLine connectors and then place into a Wagobox? I have knocked holes into the kitchen ceiling to work on the cables. I have chipboard covering the floor upstairs making the cable joins inaccessible.

Please advise if this is the correct method for joining cables.

See the attached image. The joining cables will be moved well away from the copper pipe joints for safety.

Thanks in Advance.

Attachments

• IMG_7760.JPG
    IMG_7760.JPG
    103 KB · Views: 949
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
A few of questions:
Are extending the ring final circuit to extend the ring keeping the integrity of it.Or just extending as a spur?
Are the joints you using compliant with that of an MF standard?
Can you as an alternative either extend the RFC from an exiting outlet or install one where the joint is going o be made?
Are you are aware of the requirements of cable routing and RCD protection?

Thanks for the reply.

1) This will not be a spur but an extension of cable on the main ring. I currently have two sockets and will be moving to one
2) I believe SpliceLine connectors are the new method of connecting cables rather crimping so assume they are MF standard
3) Not really
4) Yes, it will be protected by a 32amp RCD in the fuse box

I have attached an image of the current wiring and what I am proposing. This is a view from the side

Attachments

• Wiring.png
    Wiring.png
    297.7 KB · Views: 866
Do you have the BS of the connector you intend to use or a link to it? As this will confirm whether it does comply to BS 5733-MF.
Alternatively you could use the 222 and 773 Wago Series connectors, as I believe they do comply to the standards required.
I assume you mean the circuit is protected by 30mA RCD?
Also as the joint is going in to the wall and you are removing/relocating existing socket outlets, the existing and the new cable must still stay/be installed in the permitted safe zones.

//www.diynot.com/wiki/Electrics:walls

Also be aware that the extending of the circuit does still require a degree of inspection and testing and at least a minor works certificate to be issued.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Regrettably the product standard does not have the BS5733 mark, so I personally would not use it as an MF connector.

But the SpliceLine is classified as Maintenance Free under BS 7671, which states:

Every connection shall be accessible for inspection, testing and maintenance except for the following:
(i) A joint designed to be buried in the ground
(ii) A compound filled or encapsulated joint
(iii) A connection between a cold tail and the heating element as in ceiling heating, floor heating or a trace heating system
(iv) A joint made by welding, soldering, brazing or appropriate compression tool
(v) Joints or connections made in equipment by the manufacturer of the product and not intended to be inspected or maintained
(vi) Equipment complying with BS 5733 for maintenance-free accessory and marked with the symbol and installed in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions.

So No. 2 and No. 4 should cover my proposal right?
The SpliceLine is a type of compression fitting (you cannot pull the tails out for nothing) and the joints will be encapsulated.

If not then can I use Maintenance Free junction boxes to extend the cables?

It's not compound-filled, encapsulated or made by soldering, welding, brazing or using a compression tools so what makes you think ii and iv are relevant?

As you have already been told, you need MF connectors to BS5733 (although the "Ideal product expert" in the Q&A here: http://www.screwfix.com/p/ideal-spliceline-in-line-wire-connectors-pack-of-10/42201 seems to think they can be buried if using a suitable enclosure (n)

So No. 2 and No. 4 should cover my proposal right?
The SpliceLine is a type of compression fitting (you cannot pull the tails out for nothing) and the joints will be encapsulated.
Your jointing method is neither, so no it does not serve your purpose.
This is the clause you should be looking
(vi) Equipment complying with BS 5733 for maintenance-free accessory and marked with the symbol and installed in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions.
which the manufacturer's of your joint do not claim.
If not then can I use Maintenance Free junction boxes to extend the cables?
I have already informed you on what terminals can be used for your Wago box!!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back