Maintenance free - method of lowering socket (Extending 2.5mm T&E)

Surely I can do what I want in my own home as long as it’s done safely. The house is about 15 years old ...
Current regs (which have been with us some time) require sockets and switches to be at the specified heights for new builds and major refurbishments, but I'm not sure what would be the regulatory situation if someone subsequently 'undid' that.
... and they will be lowered to a level that is still in line with regs which if I recall correctly is 450mm
The requirements for sockets and switches in new builds etc. is between 450mm and 1200mm above finished floor level (i.e. the top of the accessory must be ≤1200mm and the bottom of the accessory must be ≥450mm above FFL) - so it does indeed sound as if what you're doing will remain within that range.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
If you really want this doing, if it were me I'd use Wago connectors, and I'd keep the new box in line vertically with the old box.

I would keep the old back boxes in position. I would cut a piece of thin plastic that fits tight inside the existing box, and screw it in place using the old faceplate screws. Then plaster over. This way the joints aren't 'embedded' in plaster, which somehow makes the job 'cleaner', not such a rough job.

Obviously people will tell you the best way is to replace the wiring, but we all know that's going to be very difficult.

Ensure the old back boxes are earthed if they are metal.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back