Wago 221 and the wago box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I need to move two ceiling lights. I only plan to send a single T&E to each of the new light positions.

I purchased some wago 221s and two Wago boxes (not the Wago 221-4 box).

It seems that the box is only considered maintenance free when using 222 or 773 connectors.

I guess it is because the 221 connectors are thinner and not securely locked in to the end of the enclosure.

I plan to treat the boxes as maintenance free (and bury them in the ceiling void), unless someone gives me a compelling reason not to.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, I will conder those in the future.

They would have sufficed given that I need up to 4 earth cables.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
You can use the 221s in a Classic Wagobox, but if you want it to count as "maintenance free" you need to follow the instructions, and that means using an adapter.

Nice one, thanks.

I wonder why Wago don't mention that on the page that I linked to.

Change the wago boxes to the ones required...they are about 2 quid each.....do the job properly or not at all

Change the wago boxes to the ones required...they are about 2 quid each.....do the job properly or not at all
That's certainly what I'd probably do - but Mr Wago may well have a view about "the" ("a") "proper" way to do it may differ from yours ;) I am reminded of 'skinning cats'!

Kind Regards, John

With the inserts mentioned by @plugwash why would the boxes I have not be sufficient (read: maintenance free)?

Granted, given that I would have to go to the likes of Screwfix to pick up the inserts, it would be just as easy to buy the correct 221 boxes.

Nevertheless, I don't understand why you are accusing me of not doing the job properly.

In good faith, I went to my local electrical trade store. I purchased a box of the 221-2 and 221-3, I asked for two wago boxes. I assumed that they would give me the box that corresponds with the connectors that I had purchased. I only wanted to purchase about 12 wagos, and walked out with 100...

With the inserts mentioned by @plugwash why would the boxes I have not be sufficient (read: maintenance free)? Granted, given that I would have to go to the likes of Screwfix to pick up the inserts, it would be just as easy to buy the correct 221 boxes. Nevertheless, I don't understand why you are accusing me of not doing the job properly.
Quite so - as I wrote, there are often several 'proper' ways of skinning a cat.

Nevertheless, as I said, I'd probably use a J803/4, simply because it's simpler to buy (and install) one item which does the job, rather than having to buy connectors, boxes and inserts separately - but that does not make the latter approach "non-proper".

Kind Regards, John

Quite so - as I wrote, there are often several 'proper' ways of skinning a cat.

Nevertheless, as I said, I'd probably use a J803/4, simply because it's simpler to buy (and install) one item which does the job, rather than having to buy connectors, boxes and inserts separately - but that does not make the latter approach "non-proper".

Kind Regards, John

Thank you for the reply.

I can confirm that (absolutely) no cats were harmed (read: skinned).

Had I asked here first I would have followed the advice from @pete01

Last edited:
Thank you for the reply. I can confirm that (absolutely) no cats were harmed (read: skinned).
;)
As I said, that's also what I would usually do - but only because it seems simpler and more 'convenient' (and maybe even cheaper) - but, as I said that doesn't mean that there is anything wrong (not 'proper') with your approach of using Wagos, a WagoBox and the appropriate inserts.

Kind Regards, John

Thank you for the reply.

I can confirm that (absolutely) no cats were harmed (read: skinned).

I agree, I usually give the best answers Haha

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back