The Dark Art of Open Vented Gravity Flow Systems

if you want the gravity to work 100%, rerun the pipe so the flow and return rise to ceiling closer to stove, say from boiler tapping to out side of wall then rise up to ceiling. Inside floorboard void, where the pipes run from cylinder to where it drop down to stove, it must have a fall of 2 inchs to every metre toward where it drop down. The gravity pipe flow is to have a open vent fitted.

I have used this way many time with parkray.

Otherthing, is the cylinder vented?

Dan.

Sponsored Links
Yes - cylinder is well vented, comes off the cylinder and across the attic and goes right to the top of the roof and back to the expansion tank, all in 1"

FFS !!
Just put a vent on the primary flow as Doitall suggested.

It's not a "Dark art" and it certainly ain't "Rocket Science"

Thanks to the advice of some, moving the vent pipe to the gravity circuit got everything flying along. Dramatic increase in the time the cylinder takes to heat up. Probably 20 minutes quicker with the correct flow taking place.

Sponsored Links
So just came across this article and it's pretty close to what I'm doing. So I am getting a solid fuel stove fitted in my house and really want to avoid it being pumped it only 1.5m max from the thermal store it will be heating there's no coil and he store is open vented. I can get around 15cm of rise on the flow to the store over that distance. Is this likely to work and what's the best way to go about it? Should I do a steady rise to the store or come out go verticle 10cm then 5cm rise over the horizontal? Also what safety valves should I be fitting? Swing loaded steam valve? I am a gas engineer but have only ever ripped out gravity systems so my knowledge in this area is lacking.

In this instance I feel it would be benifial if the Mods would allow stats1987 to continue on this thread.

My reason being that people who are new to this forum might not look back over previous stuff

In this instance I feel it would be benifial if the Mods would allow stats1987 to continue on this thread.
What invariably happens is that people start responding to old posts in the thread and it just ends up a complete mess. Better to start a new thread and link to the old post if it helps, it will still be there for all to see.

As @denso13 correctly says start your own thread, no one is going to read through 3 pages to find you are a sking a different question

As as a contributer to the original thread I beg to differ, however, I do accept that the publics attention span seems to have dramaticly reduced since 2011.

As as a contributer to the original thread I beg to differ, however, I do accept that the publics attention span seems to have dramaticly reduced since 2011.
Well answer the OP with your wisdom then

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back