The Great Bathroom Re-fit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been persuaded by my dear wife to replace the bathroom suite and shower, completely tile the bathroom walls and fit low voltage halogen spot lights (IP44 of course!).

I have done a bit of plumbing (fitted kitchen sink and plumbed in dishwasher/washing machine) and tiling in the past and have a good knowledge of electrics (have an HNC in Electronic Eng.), so I'm looking forward to getting stuck in :)

Are there any good little tips that you have picked up doing similar projects that I should know before I start (apart from don't do it!)?

What item is best to replace first - toilet, bath or sink? (I'm thinking toilet as it's the only one in the house).

Wish me luck!

Sponsored Links
This is the sequence I (usually) work in.

1) Remove bath and wash basin, cap pipes
2) Remove all old tiles
If tiled behind toilet then temporary remove toilet, remove old tiles and refit toilet (only takes 5 min)
3) Fit new bath (and secure using battening, not just the two screws usually provided)
Plumb shower and make good as required (do not fit shower at this time)
4) Fill bath with water
5) Tile everwhere (including floor if required), leaving toilet area until last
6) Remove old toilet
7) Tile toilet area
8) Fit new toilet
9) Grout
10) Fit shower
11) fit new wash basin
12) Fill bath again (if not still full!)
13) Fit bath panel
14) Silicon as required
15) Enjoy the results

Hope this helps

get a plumber in!

seriously, i've just finished our bathroom, and did all of the above in pretty much that order. follow that and you shouldn't go wrong. if you want to use vinyl / wood flooring don't forget to put that down before loo and basin.

and don't let your missus have a swear box nearby - you'll be a poor man by the time you've finished.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back