Bathroom renovation - which order?

Let's hope your plasterer is good else you will be trowelling on buckets of adhesive. I see so many botched tiling jobs i could cry. Flameport gave some great advice. Try some of the smaller jobs before wading right in.

Sponsored Links
Did the quotes include tiling? Sorry, I'm not clear as to what you are saying was quoted for.

2-3 days is pretty quick if it includes tiling and plastering etc.

I say have a go.

I'd manage all that ok. Check out shower panels (aquapanels) instead of tiling. Theres not much wrong with the white suite so why not keep it?

Sponsored Links
Did the quotes include tiling? Sorry, I'm not clear as to what you are saying was quoted for. 2-3 days is pretty quick if it includes tiling and plastering etc.
£1200 labour just to remove and fit a 3 piece suite. Tiling, plastering and the cost of the suite and tiles were not included and this is why I think I was being taken for a ride.

I say have a go.
I was going to have a go but the replies, especially the unexplained comment about a whole world of disasters, has dampened my ardour a bit. I don't want people to lie and tell me "go for it" if they don't mean it but as someone who's fear of botching DIY has prevented them from getting stuck in - and who had eventually decided ''sod it, every man of my dad's generation managed this so it can't be that hard to get the hang of'' - I had hoped for more positive comments but instead I feel rather foolish for even thinking I can get to grips with DIY.

Check out shower panels (aquapanels) instead of tiling. Theres not much wrong with the white suite so why not keep it?
I liked the look of those panels. B&Q sell them for an eyewatering £150 for 2x1m and the cheapest I saw were £30 each which means it's not as cost-effective as tiles (I can get some nice ones for £10psm).

I'm wanting to upgrade the suite because the current one is dated. I am looking to sell and my competition all have nice, spanky suites with push button flushes and plugs. I could live with the bath and possibly the sink (upgrading the taps for both) but the toilet would have to go.

Last edited:
Don't give up entirely. Tackle a smaller job first and then plan on the bathroom.
1200 for a suite swap is a bit much.

Project manage the bathroom by engaging a plasterer and a ceramic tiler. 600 should buy three days of.a plumber's time which is enough for a first and second fix of a suite. I have been doing bathrooms for years and always subcontract the plastering and tiling.

There are lots of pitfalls but it isn't impossible. Spend money and buy decent taps and brassware . These lift the quality of the bathroom

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back