Advise Needed - New Bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all!!

I was wondering if someone would give me some advice on how long roughly it would take to repair my bathroom after a flood. My insurance is allowing 5 days, is this enough?

work needed doing is:

remove: Bath, sink, toilet, Shower, wall mount cupboard, wall mount towel radiator
Hack off all tiles from floor to ceiling, on all 4 walls,
Take up damaged 22mm flooring and re fit with new 22mm flooring.
patch and skim all 4 walls
paint ceiling
Fit new tiles to all walls
Fit new floor tiles
refit Bath, sink, toilet, Shower, wall mount cupboard, wall mount towel radiator

Thanks

Sponsored Links
My insurance is allowing 5 days, is this enough?
Assuming the water damage has already dried out & those doing the work know what they are about then yes, depending how they go about it! Don’t know the extent of water damage is but you can’t tile over gypsum plaster skim for 10-14 days & if it’s a plaster/render base/skim, then it can be up to 4 weeks! The way around this is to patch/fill using a cement based tile adhesive or “quickset” render which can be re-finished after 24 hours but it’s not cheap!

Additionally, you don’t need to plaster/skim walls if tilling, it’s not necessary as it reduces permissible tile weight which could be a problem if your laying large format tiles. For the flooring, if it’s being tiled, only use WBP ply not chip/crapboard; it’s the worst possible tile base & it’s a waste of time tiling over it, it wont last.

Realistically. I think 5 days is pushing it. bathrooms are usually small and there's enough room for one person at a time, so it's not as if you can throw a load of labour at the job.

Sponsored Links
I'll be asking my insurance exactly what they intend to do with regard to plaster, and chipboard/crapboard lol, No dawt, they will want to do it as cheap as possible!

At first they said 3 days, but i complained about that, it looks like they still are pushing it a bit though.

Thanks

I've done insurance work for major companies, the 5 days they have quoted are normally spread out over 2 weeks. So it might be 5 days work but not all in one go.

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back