The Guardian

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Once again the holier than thou paper somehow manages to punch above its weight because it believes a partner of one of its reporters has been unfairly treated .
I don't profess to know if he was or wasn't, but I find it curious to read from a quote from the reporter in question, that out of the many thousands who were stopped for questioning at the airport, only 40 or so were kept for the full 9 hours.
Again I don't know how accurate this is but as it is in the Guardian it must be true !!!
What I find strange is why didn't they raise such a stink for those 40 individuals, was it because they didn't work for the Guardian or were related to somebody who worked there,? what a bunch of hypocrites.

Sponsored Links
I'm really struggling to find the hypocrisy in their stance. One of their journalists partners was detained under the terrorism act for 9 hours simply because their partner was a journalist who had run stories critical of government actions. The guardian is a liberal paper and has always been weary of excessive government snooping and laws like that being misused, so how are they being hypocritical for speaking out against what happened to him? The figure of 40 you're referring to is the total number of people who have been stopped under the terrorism act for the maximum 9 hours in the time the law has been in place since 2001. Many of those cases probably aren't known to anyone so it's hardly their fault that they didn't pick up on them. I'm sure if it was known that some else had been unfairly held for 9 hours under a so called terrorism act they'd have the exact same response.

Nice to see a thread criticising the Grauniad instead of the Daily Mail for a change! :LOL:

I'm really struggling to find the hypocrisy in their stance. One of their journalists partners was detained under the terrorism act for 9 hours simply because their partner was a journalist who had run stories critical of government actions.

So you honestly believe that, jeez

The guardian is a liberal paper and has always been weary of excessive government snooping and laws like that being misused, so how are they being hypocritical for speaking out against what happened to him? The figure of 40 you're referring to is the total number of people who have been stopped under the terrorism act for the maximum 9 hours in the time the law has been in place since 2001.

I am aware of that.

Many of those cases probably aren't known to anyone so it's hardly their fault that they didn't pick up on them. I'm sure if it was known that some else had been unfairly held for 9 hours under a so called terrorism act they'd have the exact same response.

So the liberal Guardian wasn't aware that 40 individuals were being questioned under the terrorism act for the maximum period.
Now that is stretching credibility a bit to far.
Come on you've got to do better than that.

Sponsored Links
That's a bugger , I expected to receive an onslaught from the Guardian readers defending their bible but so far only one.
Probably because they are still on their 6 week summer break but more likely because they know I'm right.
Incidentally anybody know why the story has suddenly gone quiet?

Who gives a toss, the whole establishment is corrupt, and it's not limited to the media or the government and don't even mention Europe.

What you should be worried about is how long before the citizens start disappearing for suggesting such rubbish. :rolleyes:

Who gives a toss, the whole establishment is corrupt, and it's not limited to the media or the government and don't even mention Europe.

What you should be worried about is how long before the citizens start disappearing for suggesting such rubbish. :rolleyes:
They already have...

Or alternatively those 'citizens' just find themselves 'commiting suicide' or 'dying unexpectedly'... ;)

They already have...

Or alternatively those 'citizens' just find themselves 'commiting suicide' or 'dying unexpectedly'... ;)
Or they are given full frontal lobotomies and end up professing a faith and/or believing the Daily Mail :mrgreen: ;) :LOL:

Im a big fan of the Guardian as they are the only paper that has the balls to break these major happenings like Wikileaks, Snowden etc.

Im not 100% happy with it as they are holier then thou on a lot of things I dont agree with too much and recently they seem to gobble up the govt's stance on Syria with this Gulf of Tonkin-esque chemical weapons attack, when Assad has no motive as he has turned the tide on the rebels.

They are fallible as they hold the govt to account on one part yet eat it up on another part which meets their liberal agenda. Its still the most forward thinking paper around though, probably in the whole English speaking world and the Comments sections are the best part and have some thought provoking stuff, along with right wing trolls, paid propagandists and conspiracy theorists to wade through though.

What I like about this forum is that there is a wide spectrum of opinions which obviates any overarching political bent. There are other sites, one of which being a general UK one which involves an intensely limited clique of like minded thinkers and which hates alternative views to be expressed.

2005-2009...

Approximately 400,000 detentions under section 7...

Number of prosecutions approx 20 (and no actual terrorism related convictions recorded)...

Just like section 44...

Powers that are abused should be exposed, and it seems that at present the Guardian is the only paper willing to do this!

Well would you believe that, the Guardian has, according to the head of MI6 increased the threat of terrorist attacks to this country.
Will we now see an apology from them for their actions, and will we see the BBC condemning them with all their might, as they did of the Mail for its criticism of Ed Millibrands dad.
Don't bet on it, it is well known that the Guardian are never wrong and therefore don't apologise, even now it is reported that they have retained a considerable number of the papers Snowden leaked on the basis that it is in the public interest that we should know about them.
I wonder what would be the chances of a victim of a future terrorism suing the Guardian for damages as a result of their actions?

Sponsored Links
Back