HIPS inspections.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have just put our house on the market and had the HIPS inspector come round today. Very pleasant guy who said he needed no help. Went round the house ticking boxes on a pre-printed form and taking photographs.

Half an or so later he says he's finished. I am curious as to whether the report will be good or bad, so I asked him. Not very good really says he.

1. The cavities need insulating. we can tell because there are no drill marks/holes in the walls outside,where they would have inserted the foam.

No says I you are wrong, it's been done. The house is a bungalow and has had new plastic facias/soffits etc, whilst these were off they were able to reach the cavities. (I didn't really want the walls drilling). Didn't know they could do that says he.

2. The loft insulation is only 200mm (2X100mm) and it should ideally be 300mm. No says I, measure it again, each piece is 150mm not 100mm thick, he checks and says he made a mistake.

3. (Probably the worst really) Says we should have TRV's. (we do have).

He had taken a photo of the hall radiator (2 lockshield valves and a room stat) I then spent 10 minutes explaining why it was like that and he said he had never heard of such a thing :eek: He eventually accepted my explanation and left saying the house was in fact very good.

Be warned if you have it done and watch them, in today's market a buyer would obviously use a bad HIPS report as a reason to chip you.. :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
another wonderful piece of legislation, brilliantly implemented by this government

Sounds as if it was a Domestic Energy Assessor who came round to do an Energy Efficiency Assessment as part of the HIPS pack.

another wonderful piece of legislation, brilliantly implemented by this government

I couldn't agree more Thermo, as I am starting college next week to train as a Energy assessor. ;)

Sounds as if it was a Domestic Energy Assessor who came round to do an Energy Efficiency Assessment as part of the HIPS pack.

I couldn't agree more Thermo, as I am starting college next week to train as a Energy assessor. ;)

If i where you bacho i would save your money i am qualified for this scam but i will tell yea that it is all sown up.
The estate agents are giving the hips pack free to the seller and using there own chaps to do it, best you will get is joining a panel and these scum bags have got idiots like the one here in question running around doing them for £50 a property

Stick with the landlords gas inspections there is no carrots left in this bag of carp.

Sponsored Links
I heard there was £50K per year in the game. Some people were paying up to 10k to get trained up.

Back