The Infamous Potterton Profile 50e

well happy to say i've installed the pump and mangaclean unit, sounding a lot better, I have a couple more radiators working but annoyingley not all of them. All the bottom floor bar one are all not working and a couple on the 1st floor aren't getting hot. Checked all the trv's and all the pins are moving.

I have let the air out of all the rads too.

Arrrrgh!!!

Sponsored Links
all the radiators are now cold...everything on the boiler and pump seem fine, kickin in as they should but no heat in radiators.

Do i need to leave the system to settle? this is doing my head in.

Is the boiler firing and the pump running? Are the pipes to and from the pump hot? Is the pump hot (feel it carefully)?

is there not a single radiator in the house working?

when you bleed the highest rad in the house, does water squirt out forcefully?

What colour is it?

p.s. did you remember to open both the valves on the Magnaclean last time after you looked in it?

p.p.s What Radiator Balancing have you done so far?

Sponsored Links
Is the boiler firing and the pump running? Are the pipes to and from the pump hot? Is the pump hot (feel it carefully)?

is there not a single radiator in the house working?

when you bleed the highest rad in the house, does water squirt out forcefully?

What colour is it?

p.s. did you remember to open both the valves on the Magnaclean last time after you looked in it?

Hi John, yes the mangaclean valves are still open as I've only just installed it but the amount of rads that are working has changed again, now all but two (5 out of 7) upstairs are warm, not boiling but warm - and all the downstairs ground floor rad's are cold.

The loft rad had the most air in it but is now pushing water out forcefully yes.

when bleeding all the radiators it's only clear water coming out of the bleed tap (which is hopefuly a good thing).

close the hot radiators and see if the cold ones warm up.

Go and look at the feed & Expansion tank and see if water is pumping out of the Vent pipe.

Have you added a cleaning chemical yet?

Are the flow and return pipes under the boiler both hot?

Are there another pair of flow and return pipes ABOVE the boiler, going to the upstairs rads?

close the hot radiators and see if the cold ones warm up.

Go and look at the feed & Expansion tank and see if water is pumping out of the Vent pipe.

Have you added a cleaning chemical yet?

Are the flow and return pipes under the boiler both hot?

Are there another pair of flow and return pipes ABOVE the boiler, going to the upstairs rads?

I have noticed water pumping out of the venting pipe, and yes I cleaned the header tank and added chemicals before re filling.

Both the flow & return pipes are hot yes.

basically the boiler, pump, cylinder is in my bathroom up stairs so the pump is having to move the water over three floors, downstairs and then up another level to the loft. Not sure if that answers the question about another paior of flow return pipes?

View media item 18710 the two red shut off valves are the flow return for the loft upstairs, the loft return is the last rad before the return back to the boiler, i've installed the boiler buddy (magnaclean) after that.

I have noticed water pumping out of the venting pipe,
this will be bringing in entrained air. Turn down the pump speed until it no longer comes out.

added chemicals before re filling.
If the chemicals included a sludge-loosener, the circulating water should have gone black with loosened sludge, and the magnet in the Magnaclean should be smothered in the stuff. Take out the magnet, and scrape the sludge off the sleeve (you might like to scrape it into a jar to see how much there is). What chemical did you use?

Both the flow & return pipes are hot yes.
Then the hot water must be going somewhere. If the Return pipe is hotter than ALL the radiators, perhaps you have a bypass, or perhaps it is going through the vent pipe instead of round the rads

basically the boiler, pump, cylinder is in my bathroom up stairs so the pump is having to move the water over three floors, downstairs and then up another level to the loft. Not sure if that answers the question about another paior of flow return pipes?
No, I want to know if pipes are going out of the top of the boiler and going upwards, in addition to the pipes that are going downward.

Have you turned off the hot rads yet?

Edited: A Boiler Buddy is not a Magnaclean and I don't have experience of how to empty the sludge out of it.

sorry for the delay John, i'm now having to sort the kids out and now I need to go out for a while, will report back shortly! Thanks for your help again

How tall is this 3 story house? a 15-60 will do 6m of head?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back