the many ways to replace one radiator with two....

• Thread starter richard Lionheart
  • Start date
R

richard Lionheart

..but which one is the right way?

The radiator is a bloody huge single convector 600mm x 2700mm one in the lounge. Its corroded in one corner and dripping. Ive cut the pipes and capped them off with inline service valves, while i ponder the next step. The system is a headerless pressurised system. I want to replace this beast with two 500mm x 1200mm single convectors, which would be far more suitable.

As I see it, theres two ways:

A) mount two radiators. run incoming hot to bottom left ends, with thermostatic valves, cold returns meet and back. Radiators are in parallel, so each gets fed hot water at same temp. However, thermostatic valves might operate differently, so radiators likely to be different temperatures when running.

B) Put the radiators in serial, ie hot into bottom left of left one, thru a thermostatic valve, out the right end, into the left end of the second, out to cold return. The one thermostatic valve controls both. But wont the right hand radiator always e colder than the left one, since its being fed by the cold return out the left one?

The only other way I can think to do this is bizzarre:

Hot feed into the thermostatic valve, but then T it off and feed the left ends of both rads, then you have one valve controlling two rads, both being fed water at the same temperature and same rate.

Whats the best way to do this?

Confused of East Sidcup.

Sponsored Links
can't see why you want two smaller rads next to each other ,with combined less heat output than the one you have ? why not just replace with one new rad ,cheaper ,less valves and will look neater. or am I missing something ?

can't see why you want two smaller rads next to each other ,with combined less heat output than the one you have ? why not just replace with one new rad ,cheaper ,less valves and will look neater. or am I missing something ?

Ahh because the big one is far too big, the heat output is colossal. And the room is long and thin, so the replacement has to be thin as possible, cnt use a double convector, that 2 inches is important. Also, having one at each end of the room will warm it better than one big one in the middle. Trust me.

Plus ofc, if we have two, we could turn one off and run on one (if option A) in milder weather....or is this all irrational?

Sponsored Links
so how far apart will they be ? option one will have one trv in between 2 rads ?

if they are gonna be two metres apart ,then plumb them as you would normally do 2 seperate rads, is the pipework 15 mm copper ?

yes good old 15mm copper, proper piping, non of this sissy 10mm crap....

SO two thermostatic valves then ?

yes one on each rad and of course one lockshield on each rad

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back