The Meter Man

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

My girlfriend's house had the meter man round last week to replace the meter (funny that!).

Anyway, he commented on my install of the British Gas energy meter (the little box with a clip-on sensor). I'd just shoved it on any old tail (neutral I think) because I'm assuming what goes in must come out and the reading won't be affected by voltage.

The Meter Man has subsequently moved it to the 'correct' tail, the line wire after the meter. Is he right that this will produce a more accurate reading?

Also, I noticed he's labelled the cut-out with 'fused at 60A'. Do you think he's done this for clarity or do you think he has changed the fuse to reflect the main switch on the old wylex (was originally unlabelled, 100A fuseholder).

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Is he right that this will produce a more accurate reading?

An academic point, yes it will since it will include any leakage current to earth but this is so small that you probably won't see any difference.

The accuracy and resolution of the device is not down to a few mA, so it will not produce a more accurate reading.

Sponsored Links
It depends though - if it's an old install with a neutral-earth fault somewhere, then it would be entirely possible to lose a fair amount of current to earth, bypassing the neutral...

Not that this would be a good situation to be in obviously - if this were the case it should be rectified ASAP!

Phew, that's a relief. I thought I wasn't losing it but when said girlfriends mum exclaims "'The meter man' said YOU had put the meter on the wrong wire and therefore I wasn't getting accurate readings, but he's fixed it now!" I need a bit of reassurance.

Hmm... neutral earth fault eh? You're right in there being no RCD to speak of, though the current's too high I think for there to be a parallel path to earth (it's a PME supply, one of the reasons I was surprised at the fuse rating).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back