Another Smart Meter Scam?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have read our own gas and electric meters for nearly 3 years so it is no surprise that a 'meter reader' has just visited.
I had something cooking and had to attend to it so showed him to the cupboard under the stairs and returned to the cooker, from where I could see him from waist down kneeling on the floor.
What was a surprise was electric cooker and the radio went off. I returned to him to find the C/O fuses out and some of the tails removed from the meter, and he tried to explain that he had to fit a 'new meter'.
I caught sight of his printed paperwork which was for a meter change.
I instructed him to restore my service and eventually he reluctantly agreed when I threatened to call for Police assistance. He was here for well over half hour and even changed the tails as far as my Henley block to 25mm² when I pointed out they are a bit small for the 100A fuse.
After he left I wondered if this is a standard practice for them as I received a phone call about a month ago to arrange an appointment for smart meter fitting.

Sponsored Links
Did he really identify himself as a meter reader?

Did he really say he'd come to read the meter?

When you received the phone call, what did you talk about during it?

How do you know that you have a 100A fuse?

Why do you think that 25mm² would be too small if you did?

Yesterday I received a text message from British Gas

We have an engineer in your area on 14 May 2019 who can change your meters to smart meters. Reply free of charge to 80xxx with either A (8 am - 12 noon) B (10 am - 2 pm) or C (1 pm - 5 pm) Add MED if someone in your house relies on medical equipment.

No option to refuse the change so I replied "no thanks" and will be ready on the day to resist.

In my neighbours house, someone had covered the main electrics in plywood, with apertures to read the meter and access the cu. She arranged for a smart meter to be fitted, the bloke took one look and said "I can't change it" and walked out.

So make sure you do the same in your place.

Sponsored Links
sunray and bernard - who are your elec suppliers? e.g SSE ?

I find it best to ignore txt like that. They just try on the offchance you will accept a SM

Silly questions as always:rolleyes: but I'll play your games just the once.
Did he really identify himself as a meter reader?
Yes

Did he really say he'd come to read the meter?
Yes
When you received the phone call, what did you talk about during it?
I received a phone call about a month ago to arrange an appointment for smart meter fitting.

How do you know that you have a 100A fuse?
I have eyes

Why do you think that 25mm² would be too small if you did?
I'll accept this part may be badly written but I beleive everyone else may have understood
even changed the tails as far as my Henley block to 25mm² .

... Yes ... Yes
The one bit of this story I don't quite understand is that, if the chap came with the intention of changing the meter, and actually got as far as removing the cutout fuse and replacing some tails, he presumably must have entered your house bearing a toolbox and at least some supplies (25mm² cable, for a start) - which surely is not one would expect of a meter reader 'coming to read the meter'? Did you not smell a few rats?

Kind Regards, John

The one bit of this story I don't quite understand is that, if the chap came with the intention of changing the meter, and actually got as far as removing the cutout fuse and replacing some tails, he presumably must have entered your house bearing a toolbox and at least some supplies (25mm² cable, for a start) - which surely is not one would expect of a meter reader 'coming to read the meter'? Did you not smell a few rats?

Kind Regards, John
He was carrying what I'd describe as a document case (soft zipped brief case sort of thing) which had about 4 tools only and the meter in poly bag. He went back out for a tool box and cable.

One of our neighbours has a meter box and didn't even know the meter had been changed until the next bill arrived.
They were even able to identify date and time of 'powercut' by what they were watching on TV and the bill details tallied.

Yesterday I received a text message from British Gas ... We have an engineer in your area on 14 May 2019 who can change your meters to smart meters. Reply free of charge to 80xxx with either A (8 am - 12 noon) B (10 am - 2 pm) or C (1 pm - 5 pm) Add MED if someone in your house relies on medical equipment. .... No option to refuse the change so I replied "no thanks" and will be ready on the day to resist.
Let's hope that some software did not pick up the "A" in "thanks" and interpret it as an invitation to visit between 8am and noon on that day :)

Kind Regards, John

One of our neighbours has a meter box and didn't even know the meter had been changed until the next bill arrived. They were even able to identify date and time of 'powercut' by what they were watching on TV and the bill details tallied.
I suppose that the ability to do things to DNO and supplier equipment in that fashion is one of the advantages of outdoor meter boxes, given that one's contract/T&C almost certainly will grant them access to such equipment.

The one thing which surprises me about that story was that it sounds as if they disconnected the supply whilst the occupants were at home and watching TV without first 'knocking' to warn any occupants of an impeding loss of their electricity supply. After all, they might have been using electrician for something far more 'safety critical' than powering a TV at the time!

This leads me to a more general issue I've often wondered about. We frequently hear of people 'declining the offer of' (or 'refusing to have') a 'smart' meter, but I wonder whether they really have any say over what is done with what is undeniably the supplier's equipment.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back