Another Smart Meter Scam?

Back in the 1960's 1970's I think you did have to actually sign a form to get a supply.
Yes, we had to sign a form back in the mid-70s, but never since. I remember that since I was away at the time and my wife therefore signed, resulting in the electricity supply being in her sole name for the period we were in that house.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Well as you have recently moved company John, you have now agreed to some new T&C's.
You don't need to actually put pen to paper these days to accept T&C's

Well as you have recently moved company John, you have now agreed to some new T&C's. You don't need to actually put pen to paper these days to accept T&C's
Exactly. As I wrote above ...
However, times have changed. People are now 'swapping' between electricity suppliers all the time, and I think you'll find that whenever one does that, one acquires a new contract with Ts&Cs - which, although you may not bother to even look at it, you are deemed to have seen and accepted if you accept (and pay for) a supply from the company concerned.

Kind Regards, John

From a United Utilities contract for supply

4.7 Any charges incurred as a result of any meter reading visits outside of the normal meter reading cycle, change of measurement class, upgrades or transfer of metering equipment will be chargeable to You at the rates set out.

If that clause is still included then the customer could be charged the costs of having a Smart Meter fitted. ( assuming it is seen as an upgrade )

Sponsored Links
If that clause is still included then the customer could be charged the costs of having a Smart Meter fitted. ( assuming it is seen as an upgrade )
I doubt that your assumption is correct. I would have thought that the last thing they would want to do would be to deter people from 'accepting' Smart Meters by charging customers for their installation.

Kind Regards, John

Yes, in legal terms, simply using the electricity supply would be taken in law as having accepted a contract for supply. Also, every contract I've read (I read them all :whistle:) incorporates by reference the standard National Terms of Supply - and IIRC there's a law which specifically makes them part of any supply contract even if not referenced.
As to charging for installation, there was a question after the talk the other week from a member of the audience. A friend was being charged for an upgrade of the service head - the man came to change the meter, can't remember whether he did so, then pronounced that the service head needed replacement/upgrade for which the user had got a bill. The advice from the speaker was an emphatic "that shouldn't happen, take it up with OfGem", with a clarification that NO ONE should be charged for an installation or work that's needed as a result of it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back