The need for an extractor fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

We are having our bathroom refitted. We currently do not have an extractor fan in the bathroom, and so when we shower we open the window.

Some bathroom places we have been too say we should install an extractor fan, while others say we don't need one.

I was hoping people on here could give their opinion on whether we need one or not, and if we do, what would be a good make (preferably a quiet one as the bathroom is next to the bedroom!)

Of course, if this post could be in a more appropriate forum, please feel free to move it.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
We have 2 bathrooms and a downstairs loo and the only one where I have fitted a fan is in the loo because guests use it and it helps to remove lingering odours. I have it wired to the light switch and running for a minute after the light goes off.

Otherwise I view extractors as noisy and almost useless in removing steam from a shower room; like you we prefer to open the window, which actually stays latched in the ventilation position most of the time. Nature's own ventilation is free, silent and doesn't need cleaning every few months to remove the fluff and nasty white skin cell dust.

yes you should have a fan. For best results it should be high (as water vapour is lighter than air and will rise to the ceiling).

It is better not to put it directly above a bath or shower as electrical regulations are more stringent in this position which will put up costs.

A Centrifugal Fan is generally quieter and more powerful than a similar Axial fan.

I recommend you have it installed so that it comes on automatically every time the bathroom light is turned on. Some people have a psychological aversion to ventilation and like fans to be turned off.

My bathroom fan works like this, the room is very dry, and doesn't even get mist on the mirror.

If you have an outside wall, you can hire a Core Drill which will make a neat round hole that you line with a plastic duct, this is a surprisingly easy job to do. If you have to exhaust through the ceiling you must run a plastic duct and put it through a hole in the loft wall or soffit, or get a roofer to provide a special tiled-in terminal.

Sponsored Links
Steve's one is not very powerful, but as it is 12v and mounted outside the bathroom, you could place the vent directly above a shower.

it has an nominal extract rate of 23Ltr/sec and noise of 41dBA

For comparison this Centrifugal one has an extract rate of 62Ltr/s and noise of 33dBA, but is more expensive http://www.screwfix.com/prods/36062...or-Fans/Vent-Axia-Centrifugal-250DP-Fan-100mm

There is quite a variety available.

BC insisted that we fit an extractor on a garage conversion we carried out even though there was an opening window.

If you're going to get a sparky in, get him to wire up for a mirror heater as well. You can buy heat pads, which consume almost nothing and stick to the back of the mirror, ours are again rigged to the light switch and they're a really nice touch as your mirror doesn't steam up.

Well the plumber we are having in to do the fitting/tiling etc is getting an electrician in to remove the old electric shower and move the light switch, so my guess is that he intended to get him to connect the extractor fan.

Concess on here seems to be that it is best to have a fan then?

As a note, one of the stipulations on the gurantee of our bathroom furniture is that an extractor must be fitted!

then fit one.

It's not something you would regret as they are very useful, esp after a curry :D

One thing to consider is the wind coming back through, somewhere I used to live - an end terrace had horrible wind blowing back through it so if your in a windy area make sure its got the flaps on the outside.
I ended up making a cover for it & removed it when needed.

I use this sort of cowl vent (it has a backdraught flap underneath)

p1849536_l.jpg

the ones with a stack of visible flaps like a venetian blind rattle annoyingly, and break off in high winds

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back