the old celing rose conumdrum again

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK, I'm tearing my hair out here.

I refitted my kitchen over the last couple of months, and the last thing to do is fit my new light. When removing the last ceiling rose (put new ceiling in), I made sure I labelled the cables clearly:

"live in" - 1 red wire, 1 black wire, 1 earth
"to next rose" : 1 red, 1 back, 1 earth
"switch": I replaced the swtiched live cable: 1 brown, 1 blue, 1 earth

The new lit fitting is a spot set with just live/neutral/earth.

No probs I thought, just fix in a j/b, and run 1 cable down to lit fitting. Fuse blew. I thought I may have wired swtch in wrong, so completely disconnected it. Fuse still blew.

Now I can't work out what's happening. I think I may have assumed that the existing cables were what they're not.

The current (heh) situation is this:

with leccy on, I have power to 1 red cable: the "live in". I then wire in the switch and can switch power on/off to the switched live cable.

What is interesting is at this point I have power to the red (live) wire in the "to next rose" cable even though I haven't connected it in anyway to the j/b??? What's going on???

My marriage is depending on this post. Please help me!

Sponsored Links
Please tell us:

How many terminals are in the rose

What wires you have connected to which terminal

(I think I know what mistake you have made but I would like to be sure)

ATB

cheers for the quick reply ATB, but I've worked it out. The cable I thought was a "to next rose" was actually a switched live or something.

I've now got the live in connected to a switched live in a j/b. When I flick the swtich on, this then makes the "to next rose" cable live, and this I've connected up to the light fitting. And it works. Hooray!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back