celing rose fitting problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I'm trying to fit a ceiling rose for a light fitting and have the standard 3 cables: one for power in, one for the light switch and one to carry power to the next ceiling rose.

Theres only one problem - for the power in and power out cables, instead of having a red wire (Live), a black wire (Neutral) and Earth, ive got two red cables and Earth, so I cant distinguish between Live and Neutral! What's going on?

Sponsored Links
Sounds like they've wired your lighting with twin red+earth. If you've already taken it apart without labelling the conductors you'll have to buy a tester. This situation is not good and you should get your lighting looked at by someone who knows what they're doing.

unless.......
you will have to go into loft / lift floor boards (you didnt say which ) and follow 2 of the cables to see where they go, the 3rd cable being the one you didnt find, wont do you much good as you still wont know which colour is which, but it will save the electrcian time (and you money) when you call him out to put it right.

sorry but with out a multi meter there is not a lot you can do, but i mus also agree with spark, looks like they ran out of red and black twin and earth.

then again if you feel confident enough you could always change the wrong twin red cable

I think the cable to the switch should by right have two red wires, one is live and the other is a switched live (normally black with a red flag).
So it appears one of the two red wires in your cables are in fact neutral so the best thing is to put a black flag on them.when you know which is which
If you remove bulb and place switch in on position the black wire will become live on 1st plate, the reds will always be live on 2nd plate and the reds on the 3rd plate will never be live (neutral) You can check them out with a tester.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
MANDATE, you forget this is a diy forum, most people do not have a multi meter or tester, that is why they are asking, which is why i replied as i did

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back