The Olympics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As the official name of this country is "The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland", why is our olympic team called Great Britain? Do only athletes from England, Wales and Scotland play? What do Northern Ireland athletes perform under?

Sponsored Links
I was under the impression that Northern Ireland was included in Great Britain anyway. But upon googling I see you're right.
I suppose they should do what they do in Eurovision and call us the "UK". There's not much about Britain that I could call "Great" anyway......not any more.
Are you Irish? I've never heard anyone complain about this before (even the irish). Surely they can't be that bothered or they'd kick up a fuss and throw potatoes at us. :D

No, I'm not Irish at all. Are you insinuating that to complain about something you have to be personally affected by it? :LOL:

I am just a stickler about doing things the correct way.

The 'Great' part doesn't mean 'good', it means 'Big'. So we are big Britain and the North-West corner of France is called 'Britain' (Bretagne). According to the Romans anyway.

Anyway (!), can anyone help with my original question?

notb665, I don't really know the answer to your question, sorry. Does this British team have any Welsh people in it this time? We are left off the Union Flag you know ... And the govt. wants to know why we wanted home rule :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Well I reckon the English would be better off on their own really.

Don't mind the Scots or Irish, but the Welsh have always had big mouths.

Strictly speaking you aren't left off the Union Flag, as Wales was part of England, as I'm sure you know! So Wales is represented in Union Flag.

OK, so I can't think of a way to fit the Welsh Dragon in the Union Flag. How could we merge St. David's Flag into the Union Flag?

paulbrown said:
Well I reckon the English would be better off on their own really.

Don't mind the Scots or Irish, but the Welsh have always had big mouths.

:rolleyes: As I said before puerile behaviour :rolleyes: Oh and btw that is a racist insult.

notb665 said:
Strictly speaking you aren't left off the Union Flag, as Wales was part of England, as I'm sure you know! So Wales is represented in Union Flag.

OK, so I can't think of a way to fit the Welsh Dragon in the Union Flag. How could we merge St. David's Flag into the Union Flag?

How many centuries ago was Wales part of England then????? Many before the Union Flag was designed LOL

Apparently the 'English' govt was asked to just put a red dragon in the centre but they refused saying it would look like Wales was more important than England :rolleyes: A dragon in one of the corners would suffice....

Brightness said:
notb665 said:

How many centuries ago was Wales part of England then????? Many before the Union Flag was designed LOL

Wales was annexed by England in 1282. Only in 1969 were official borders finalised!

Wales was considered part of England in 1606, when an earlier version of the Union Flag was designed.

Brightness said:
Apparently the 'English' govt was asked to just put a red dragon in the centre but they refused saying it would look like Wales was more important than England :rolleyes: A dragon in one of the corners would suffice....

But England is just as important as Wales in representing the UK. It's not a competition, is it? lol.

And did you know that the words "Wales" and "Welsh" are actually descended from racist words?

Of course it is LOL All countries within the UK are as important as each other. Live and let live and let us put a dragon on the flag LMAO

Now I really need my bed - I've typed this twice and still had to correct spelling mistakes :rolleyes:

Sleep well :D

A silver for britain going down a slope on a tea tray! wow hope there's a medal for scratching one's Ar s e I reckon i could be in with a chance there! :)

Great Britain consists of England,Scotland and Wales.When Northern Ireland is included it is then United Kingdom if this helps.As far as I know there are no competitors from N.I. taking part in these games. :)

Personally, I reckon we should have a dragon on the Union Flag (are we such a bunch of pedants that no-one has incorrectly said "Union Jack" yet? :LOL: )

But then I am 1/4 Welsh.

According to my Japanese-ophile (I think this would be "nippophile" as in "nippon", but it just sounds wrong! Oriental dragons don't even breathe fire. Gay or what?

Now, as to the NI question... In rugby, the Ireland National Rugby Union team comprises Eire and NI nationals. They use the anthem "Ireland's call" to overcome the controversy over national anthems between Eire and UK.

Is it possible the olympics team is partitioned similarly?

In Eurovision, Celine Dion once represented Switzerland, and all the British-born astronauts adopted US nationality so perhaps there is a more complex issue of nationality here?

Sponsored Links
Back