The pressure on my shower is awful. Pls help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a pump installed to my bathroom upstairs and though it is extremely loud, the pressure in that bathroom is fine. But the shower room in the middle floor has extremely poor pressure. I dont want to install another pump, as I cant bear the thought of 2 loud pumps at the same time. Are there any other ways I can increase the water pressure?

Sponsored Links
If you have good mains water pressure, you could install a venturi shower, which uses the mains pressure to draw hot water from the tank. It may not be as powerful as a dedicated pump though.

Another possibility, if your existing pump is powerful enough is to feed both showers from the same pump. I will add though that I don't know whether this would be pemitted / practicable.

You could replace the pump you've already got to one that's designed for the whole house or 2 bathrooms etc.

Another option could be an electric shower, fed from your mains watersuply.

Would an electric shower increase the water pressure in most instances or is it dependant on the existing water pressure?

How can I tell if the existing mains water pressure is good? My property is on 3 floors and if I had to guess I would say the hot water tank is on the ground floor and the cold water in the attic. The water pressure on the ground floor near the kitchen is fine, but to the bathrooms on the middle and top floor the pressure is a quite rubbish.

The existing pump is so loud, I can only presume it is very powerful. Wouldn't a more powerful one be louder still?

Thanks David and Mogget for responding.

Sponsored Links
An electric shower only has a cold mains feed. So the pressure will be the same as your kitchen cold tap ;)

Be far less due to the restrictive innards of an electric shower

hey, i would suggest a electric shower fed from yr mains too. checking water pressure u'd need a weir cup babe..

You could replace the pump you've already got to one that's designed for the whole house or 2 bathrooms etc.

Another option could be an electric shower, fed from your mains watersuply.

I toyed with the idea of getting a pump installed near the hot water tank so that both the bathrooms benefit but I have now been told that if I do this, then the pump would kick into action when water is used anywhere in the house eg kitchen, washing machine, flushing toilet etc. and apparantly this is a bad thing. Not sure why though.....maybe the noise. Agree/disagree?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back