the price is right

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am getting a quote for a new condensing boiler tomorrow, yeh silly question I know but anybody got a rough idea within a few hundred how much the quote will be ?

the existing boiler is in the garage it is a conventional heating system with 2 tanks in the loft and there are 10 rads to power flush

cheers P M

Sponsored Links
I see we still have a sense of humour by-pass in operation, but hey ho....

prices will vary depending on a myriad of things.

New boiler make and model/capacity.
Gas supply capacity/location
Collateral damage from the Powerflush
Additional Part L upgrades needed
New control regime
Amount of pipe work
Quality of tea and biscuits on offer.

Expect anything from £2500 and £8000

Get 3 or 4 estimates. Chuck out the cheapest. Look very carefully at the middle one(s) and see why they are so different from the most expensive (especially if that is mine).

Make sure the different estimates are comparing apples with apples. Especially where the quality of the appliance is concerned (something that has caused me to loose several potentially nice projects due to me not offering a cheap and nasty solution).

Super long warranties are not the be all and end all. 5 years is plenty; and ALL the decent and half decent brands offer that.

Sponsored Links
Dan is right about the price (and quite a few other things too) but don't make the mistake of not changing the controls..

opt for modern intelligent controls that have out door and/or indoor compensation..

they will pay for themselves, are kinder on the boiler and give you a more even temperature in the house...

Alec wrote
give you a more even temperature in the house...

Any thermistor based electronic thermostat, even humble 4 wire (with earth) stat will do that:cool:
+/- half degree C is not uncommon.

Equally important to constancy of temperature is that its also even in different rooms. Thats a matter of setting up.

I can give fairly competitive quotations for replacement boilers but I dont go out to do free quotations as that just wastes my time. Instead I ask a lot of questions and suggest solutions and likely prices. If those were acceptable then I would go and confirm the prices and details. Unfortunately those short of work rush out and usually one of them will get the job.

Recently I was asked to go to someone's parents to give a quote and stated to be the preferred contractor. It was obvious that he valued my judgement and wanted ( free ) advice on how the job should be done.

But they had already had three others round and I was not inclined to waste another two hours on his project particularly when it seemed I was being called just to give free advice. I even suggested that I dont give free advice and might just give my prices. He did not seem to take kindly to that!

Tony

Had a few quotes recently myself and did not end up going for the absolute cheapest quote.

Tried not to waste any ones time by asking a lot of questions on the phone first and then asking them what their ball park figure was.
One lovely person on the phone gave me a quote of £5300 to £5400 when others for the exact same setup quoted me between £1700 and £2500 :eek:

It's very difficult without knowing what u want or need.
Based on the average jobs I do.....
I would say somewhere between £2000-£4000 +vat
A boiler change being at the bottom end
Boiler controls cylinder etc being towards the upper end, as I said depends on what is required.
Obviously thigs can go much higher than that if you want to go really high spec or re-pipe etc

One lovely person on the phone gave me a quote of £5300 to £5400 when others for the exact same setup quoted me between £1700 and £2500 :eek:

I hasten to say that although I am a lovely person, that was not me. Even for a full system in a medium size house it would be unlikely to be over £4800.

Haha, I am sure it wasn't you or anyone on these boards.
Found his details on the Veissmann installer page... Hint, I am in the Midlands.

I can also work in the Midlands ( Cov etc ) and am also on the Viess page too!

Is it possible to explain that to the layman? Just got a boiler with a weather compensation sensor (not installed yet, boiler or the weather compensator.)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back