The referendum.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How can all the major parties defy their electorate and refuse a referendum?

Do they serve us? Or don't they?

Sponsored Links
Hmmmmm, wadda you think?

There must be some good ones but the majority, to my mind anyway, are 'career politicians' ie they're there to serve themselves and will do anything that keeps that status quo.

Sponsored Links
I've always said as we have a democraticly elected government, we should have a referendum every 4 or 6 months.. and the contents of each referendum (maybe 10 items) would be voted for in newspapers, tv shows, news polls, mori polls etc....

if this doesn't happen, we effectively have an elected dictatorship... which makes false promises to get in power and then rides roughshod over the electorate for 4 or 5 years...

if this doesn't happen, we effectively have an elected dictatorship... which makes false promises to get in power and then rides roughshod over the electorate for 4 or 5 years...
You're quick!

That is a very good point.

Do they serve us? Or don't they?

They should. But from the top cabinet members in Westminster right down to the officious bureaucrats in local councils, they seem to have forgotten that they're supposed to be the servants, not the masters.

Whatever party...we don't get to vote for who we want...THEY pick them,not us.The heirarchy pick people who will do as they're told and keep the old boys club ticking over the way THEY want it.
It's a nice little earner for brown nosers with a lovely pension at the end of it...why rock the boat with democracy?

The biggest crime is that you are all attacking the politicians - it's the "jobs for life", "peerage at the end of it" civil "servants" (some of whom are on almost £300K).
The politicians are just the veneer. The country would trundle along without them, and you'd not notice.

Is it possible for us to come out of the EU :confused:

As far as the U.K. is concerned, absolutely. We repeal the 1972 Act which took us into what was then the EEC in 1973 and all the legislation enacted as result of that, and we're out as of that moment.

But it's a somewhat worrying point that some of the EU "bigwigs" seem to have other ideas about it. I don't know what became of it, but a few years ago I read an EU proposal for a set of rules for any country which wished to withdraw. The proposal was that any country withdrawing would lose all voting rights, payments from the EU etc. but would still be obliged to obey all EU directives and keep paying into the system for a certain period (I forget the exact duration - I think it was something like 3 or 4 years). And that was to be only after the country was "allowed" to withdraw by the mutual consent of all other EU members!

That sort of proposal alone is enough to show the contempt with which the EU as a whole regards national sovereignty, and shows that the EU Commission clearly does not accept that as far as the U.K. is concerned we're in the EU only because British law says we are, and that we have every right to reverse that decision any time we like.

Interesting comments from one and all... so what do we do as citizens to change things in a flawed democracy? Take up arms? Civil disobedience? this is my favourite, but who's gonna organise it? we need to stand up to the government.... at the minute, it's like you;re in a fight where your opponent tells you how to move your body... no fight, no democracy... !!

We elect the government to run the country - not ask us what we want every farts end.

We elect the government to run the country - not ask us what we want every farts end.

that's poles apart from your opinion earlier... the gorvernment don't govern !!! they rule !! so they are rulers !!! Rulers don't run democracies !!!

Sponsored Links
Back