Cameron Hints at a Referendum

Referendum or not?

• Yes Let the British Public decide

Votes: 24 100.0%
  • No Let our politicians decide what's best for us.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
J

joinerjohn

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-19761017

Why doesn't he just say straight out "If elected, We will offer the UK a referendum on Europe?" Instead of saying things like " There will be opportunities for the British people to give "fresh consent" to the UK's EU membership." and almost a repetition "In the next parliament, I think there will be opportunities for a fresh settlement and for new consent to that settlement."

Come on Dave, make yer bloody mind up.. Do we get a referendum or not?
I think if he offered us a referendum on Europe,,, a straight, In or Out vote, he'd walk the next general election. As it is, this "Vague hints " attitude, will lose him votes.
Anyway's , what's your view on the EU? Should us Brits reconsider our position in the EU and be given the vote on continued membership of this expensive, seemingly endless drain on us? Or should we trust our politicians to do right by us the electorate? (and continue lining their own pockets) ;) ;) ;)

Sponsored Links
Ahh, in much the same way the Limp Dems said they'd force a referendum in the coalition government,,,, then promptly voted against it . :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Because he already gave us a "Cast Iron" guarantee that he would give us a referendum on the EUssr before he was elected......Then he changed his mind.. Toss Pot!

He never gave a cast iron anything, he did what he did in this article.

Say a lot of stuff that can strongly be interpreted as a "pro referendum" outlook, but not actually say anything definite.

That's why he is such a good politician (which is not the same as a good PM or MP).

Sponsored Links
"Today, I will give this cast-iron guarantee: If I become PM a Conservative government will hold a referendum on any EU treaty that emerges from these negotiations." — David Cameron MP, The Sun, 26th September 2007

Agreed that the get out phrase is " EU treaty that emerges from these negotiations"

But to deliberately try to mislead the people who vote for you does not make any person a good politician

At present it is 17-0 in favour of a referendum. If you really want one, for whatever motive and whatever side of the fence you sit, then you must vote UKIP at the next election. There is no "tactical" nonsense involved.

The vote will be cast, the decision made and then we can all move on with the mandate having being clearly stated. Civil servants will run the country, as per normal, until a new Government is subsequently formed with a manifesto based on the outcome of the referendum.

Simples

"Today, I will give this cast-iron guarantee: If I become PM a Conservative government will hold a referendum on any EU treaty that emerges from these negotiations." — David Cameron MP, The Sun, 26th September 2007

Agreed that the get out phrase is " EU treaty that emerges from these negotiations"

But to deliberately try to mislead the people who vote for you does not make any person a good politician

The treaty was signed before an election, he knew it would be, everyone paying attention knew it would be.

Hence he could freely promise to hold a referendum on an EU treaty, knowing he couldn't ever possibly be PM until after it was signed.

Once it is signed, the only way to reverse it is to pull out of the EU, and he never promised a referendum on that, and is on record saying multiple times "better in than out".

depends on what you consider a good politician to be,.

I would expect a good politician to work for the good of the voters and the national good rather than their own personal interests... Being deliberately ambiguous does not win my confidence and I shall bear his deviousness in mind.

Mr Cameron seems to be muddying the watrs on the EU already, his promise of a vote on the changes in the EU if he is elected next time will be in up to seven years time is pretty lame.

In or out no iffs or buts no strings attached.... Only UKIP offer this

I believe it's out of self interest that politicians are reluctant to hold a referendum on the EU, they see it as a gravy train should they ever lose their place at the trough in British politics, they can try to get elected as a member of the EU assembly, and continue their lavish lifestyle while not giving a hoot for the general public.

Wotan

It's been a whiile since I've heard the statement "it's right that we have a discussion about our membership of Europe" from any MP. Such a remark is designed, of course, not to actually discuss the subject matter but to discuss the merits of whether having a discussion has any merits.

Then, there's the occasional patronising remark about how "intelligent" the electorate is :rolleyes:

IMO, the next MP who comes out with such pathetic and pointless obfuscating statements should be sacked with immediate and permanent effect.

This thread set me of thinking, am I an inner or an outer I admit to not having clear view's about it well nothing more than a few half arsed ones about allegiances between Europe and America and the demise of imperial measurement,Things happen in in politics that leave you in a none ambiguous frame of mind :Cuban missile crisis Hitler invading Poland,Neil Kinnock not backing the miners,the lies about WMDs in Iraq ,perhaps a bit extreme examples but the European union like having dry rot in the cellar you never see anything happening but it never stop munching away at the fabric of the house and ther's not much to see until its too late So Ill post a new thread for some fresh ideas on europe

Oh for gods sake when will you learn not to trust a Tory the whole idea of torus is to conserve the money of the rich eg make the poor pay for everything like 20percent vat most tories are vat reg so claim it back Joe public can't high petrol prices? Not a prob to a millionaire yes labour cocked up the banks but they say they'll put it right maybe but I say this they were all caught with there noses in the trough with expenses so there all as bad as each other may the revolution come soon

Because he already gave us a "Cast Iron" guarantee that he would give us a referendum on the EUssr before he was elected......Then he changed his mind.. Toss Pot!
iirc it was because the cretins before him managed to get their agreements/commitments pushed through thus making any referendum on them pointless.
A different argument was/is required from that point on.

Oh for gods sake when will you learn not to trust a Tory the whole idea of torus is to conserve the money of the rich eg make the poor pay for everything like 20percent vat most tories are vat reg so claim it back Joe public can't high petrol prices? Not a prob to a millionaire yes labour cocked up the banks but they say they'll put it right maybe but I say this they were all caught with there noses in the trough with expenses so there all as bad as each other may the revolution come soon

Hmmm, and meanwhile at the Labour Party p**s up (sorry meant to type conference) Ed Milibland now says that Labour are the "One Nation" party

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-19792070

Just a crying shame that his forebears allowed so many immigrants into this sceptred isle. I just wonder what " One Nation " he thinks they're the party of. Certainly isn't UK plc. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Millipede still intends to persue a policy of multiculturism the social experiment continues...

Sponsored Links
Back