The Serious Risk Of Wearing Fake Rolex Etc Watches

Sadly, too many people foolishly believe they have got the real thing when the fact is they have not.

If you are buying brand new, I'd only buy from a well known outlet and if the watch cost a lot of money and to me cost over 600, I'd keep the receipt and the box.

If you have a used watch or selling a used designer watch and if genuine its worth more than 1k, I'd insist on seeing the original box and the original receipt not a copy etc. If anyone is buying a used watch like the aforementioned, insist on the above or walk away.

You've seen the video, even good experts have difficulty telling them apart and even when opening them up. The expert also admitted that unless you have a genuine watch to compare like with like, the decent fakes even the experts would have trouble telling the fake from the real.

There are tens of thousands of fake Rolex/Omega/etc in the uk, so insist on an original receipt and a reputable outlet receipt or walk away.

Like the victim in my OP, these 10 quid watches look real enough to most of us but if you pay a bit more you get watches where even experts have trouble telling them apart. Thankfully these fat watches are not for me and look silly and even more silly on a person where you can easily tell its not the real thing. (Yes, we all have our own tastes)

Sponsored Links
Btw, the watch I wear given to me as a birth present about 14 years ago. It's a kinetic watch, only had the battery replaced twice and runs perfectly to the second no throwing away of hard-earned money on so-called servicing bs etc -

Then you do not understand what a real Rolex is/means unfortunately

They are just an expensive bling item really that some lust after and some can easily afford. There are a number of people about who make a point of wearing an automatic watch. Some like ones with several dials and buttons on them etc. They can be a bit of a hobby. Some collect watches. Some can be sold for more than the original cost. Some are more accurate than others.

LOL Must admit I like the smooth sweep of the seconds hand on an automatic rather than 1 sec jerks :cool: so I wear a Bulova quartz. It's accurate to a few secs a year, unlike an automatic.

They are just an expensive bling item really that some lust after and some can easily afford. There are a number of people about who make a point of wearing an automatic watch. Some like ones with several dials and buttons on them etc. They can be a bit of a hobby. Some collect watches. Some can be sold for more than the original cost. Some are more accurate than others.

LOL Must admit I like the smooth sweep of the seconds hand on an automatic rather than 1 sec jerks :cool: so I wear a Bulova quartz. It's accurate to a few secs a year, unlike an automatic.

I guess an excellent choice tBH never heard of the brand. I know where you are coming from re the sweep on the seconds hand movement.

The imprtant factors on a watch for me, easy to read the time at a glance, very accurate, no servicing bs etc, etc and batter lasts young as it does on kinetic watches and sleek with stainless steel strap easy to keep clean and freesh and watch looks classy and not blingy fake.

I think next time someone is flashing their fake watch at me at a party/wedding etc I'll ask them how can they tell the difference between a real brand a fake one, lol.

I'm certain if someone was to ask people to post a genuine reciept on a forum they'd dash off to the net to get a copy, lol.

each to their own, it is what it is, lol.

Sponsored Links
There are plenty of genuine used famous brand automatic watches around but few people have them serviced when they should be. That involves complete dismantling, cleaning and relubricating with the correct stuff. Maybe some parts replacing as well. This can apply to some quartz watches. End result - some one buys an expensive used chronometer and pays a price for that specificiation and the watch will no longer meet it. The performance of lesser spec'd watches will suffer as well.

Then comes the fakes. Rolex paperwork sells for a significant amount of money so having those does not have to mean that a watch is genuine.

There are plenty of genuine used famous brand automatic watches around but few people have them serviced when they should be. That involves complete dismantling, cleaning and relubricating with the correct stuff. Maybe some parts replacing as well. This can apply to some quartz watches. End result - some one buys an expensive used chronometer and pays a price for that specificiation and the watch will no longer meet it. The performance of lesser spec'd watches will suffer as well.

Then comes the fakes. Rolex paperwork sells for a significant amount of money so having those does not have to mean that a watch is genuine.
Good point.

The only thing I recall buying pre-owned is cars in the past and about ten years ago a laptop.
In my head I completed a holistic assessment of the facts and some of it was:

Does the situation feel right
Are the receits genuine
Do the recipts tie in with the address and if not why not.
Is the item being sold from the receipt address.
Does the person selling it happy to answer every question
Why are they selling it
How long have the had it
Service history etc and recepts.
and more
===========

What you said re fake receipts or purchased one, more of a reason to check the history, the address etc but there are hundreds of thousands of fakes around. The guy I mentioned in the OP, the watch looked real enough to all of us as we are no experts in that field by as per the video link, even experts find it hard to tell and thanks are made easier if they have a genuine one to compare with - but with so many fakes, what does a genuine one look like. This reminds me of a tv doc 20/30 years ago on the Levis brand. People thought that they were buying, being sold fakes
when the small Levi logg on the back pock was on the other pocket. The fact was that so many fakes had been sold with the logo on the wrong side of the pocket that many thought the fakes were real.

Just imagine, sad really someone thought they got a bargain but come selling it told its fake. Wore still, they are mugged for the fake watch.

a man being mugged often will not talk about it as they find it embarrassing as I'd met a few via my stint at a certain workplace. They often feel weak, violated etc and feel they should have done more. Muggings often happen in the dark or isolate areas and are over within a few seconds. Often appear to be walking past you and another crim in the background, they ask you the time so most people stop, then they deman the watch, the wallet and at times the ring, mobile etc and jacket if its a nice hoodie/jacket. People have been robbed of their trainers.

I hardly wear my wedding ring as its flash and I don't like weatin jewellery but will wear to parties/weddings etc but the watch I always wear.

tBH never heard of the brand.
They do a range called precisionist. Bulova is an older famous name but bought out by some company and prices reduced. I'm on my 2nd one - silly me. I tried to change the battery myself. Unusually tight press fit back and I smashed the glass. ;) The fit was so precise it indicates they still go to some trouble to make them.

I don't think they have a servicing option so at some point they will have to be binned. Interesting aspect with Omega. The movement is usually changed for servicing so an older watch may have a newer movement in it. An official Omega servicer should be able to do that properly rather than fit any old junk. The Omega Bond style and pre Bond are pretty popular. An area to check on old watches.

I tried going back to an automatic chrono but the accuracy bugged me. Being retired didn't help with it being winded the same amount all of the time either. LOL A watch winder helped.

If you have a used watch or selling a used designer watch and if genuine its worth more than 1k,
Designer watches are usually cheap tat with a generic quartz movement inside.
Btw, the watch I wear given to me as a birth present about 14 years ago. It's a kinetic watch, only had the battery replaced twice and runs perfectly to the second no throwing away of hard-earned money on so-called servicing bs etc -
Er, kinetic watches don't have a battery so you've been had if you are paying for battery replacement.

I tried going back to an automatic chrono but the accuracy bugged me. Being retired didn't help with it being winded the same amount all of the time either. LOL A watch winder helped.

Accuracy is very important to me. I don't know if we are all cablabe of this but when I guess the time often its to the minute day or night.
As I said, the time must be easily readable at a glance and accurate.

Some of the start to finish watch restoration vids on YooToob can be quite interesting on a rainy day.

Some people seem obsessed with time accuracy.
I go by sunlight.
Wake up at dawn, go to bed when it's dark if I'm tired.
Why would anyone care if it's 8.30 or 8.32???
Please explain it to me.

I was on the phone chatting to one of our son's.
Our son was considering buying a genuine Cartier Watch but
then a mate told him what had happened to one of their male office admins
last week.

The office admin had been on hols to Dubai and as most people will know you can get lookalike fake Rolex, Tag, Omega etc
etc watches and they do look real from a distance as I've seen them on tv. Anyways, the young man got mugged on a Friday night coming out of a club
and the young guy handed over the watch, wallet etc and thankfully he was not attacked. However, he is shaken up.

The sad/funny bit is that the guys watch was a fake like the vast majority of so-called designer watches in England and once most heard about it and found out he was unharmed most sniggered and many LOL.

So if you are considering flashing a 10 quid Roles/Tag etc, please be aware of the muggers as they know no different.

Our son is now two minded about buying, and wearing a very expensive watch and I'd already tried to put him off but in the past he said
he's only wearing it to weddings/parites at friends where they'd get straight back in a car or taxi.

I wear a sleek, elegant, oblong watch that is a good 14 years old and still looks good and it only cost about 300 at the time time.
Basically, what the OP is saying is that you're asking for trouble if you wear a ten quid watch that's a copy of a £5k one but he and presumably other members of his family feel quite safe going to, from and riding about in top of the range Porsche, Bentley and Range Rover SUV's? That doesn't make sense to me unless he's been telling porkie pies (again) about the fleet of luxury vehicle that he, his husband and considerably richer than yow siblings float about in.

Reminds me of this:

I go by sunlight.
Please explain it to me.

To me as per my post re guessing time and having a watch outside and using Alexa and Google smart tv's for times around the home - we are who we are, fact

You are happy as you are and I and others as they are.

Even on hols time is importnat as you can break down the day, know when I'm about to have my 7th meal/snack etc and time to go to bed and up.

Thanks

I go by sunlight.
Please explain it to me.

Same same . I turn up to meetings depending on cloud cover or not. Sometimes I was late Sometimes I wasn't

Watches are a bit like cars in some ways except many more people buy more expensive cars than they actually need. Similar in as much as the name has a bearing on the price paid.

Sponsored Links
Back