The Tyranny of Democracy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This picture was taken three days after the death of King George VI before the match played between Carlisle United and Grimsby Town.

2137.png

(Can you name the man on the left in the long overcoat, standing next to the linesman?)

Football went ahead and nobody considered it disrespectful: after a minutes silence, impeccably observed, the whistle blew and the game went ahead - matches were not played last week and the reason given by the Premier League is because they were concerned some fans would use it as an opportunity to display the kind of behaviour seen in Edinburgh or outside the gates of Buckingham Palace where protestors demand their right to Freedom of Speech.
They're always the first people to protest about their rights in a democracy while conveniently forgetting our democracy works by majority rule...(as Brexiters will be quick to remind us). In this case, the tail has wagged the dog and still human rights groups are getting into a lather about 'their rights' and 'free speech' for a minority of people who wish to see England become a Republic, Scotland gain independence and Northern Ireland fend for itself as the demand to abolish the monarchy grows louder.
At this moment it seems to me the Royal Family is the glue holding the Kingdom United and to abolish this ancient institution would be an act of cultural vandalism on a scale with the Russian Revolution.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
King George Vl, it was all to do with disinformation? And as for postponement of matches, whilst I like watching matches its something I can live without they will all get played eventually.

King George Vl, it was all to do with disinformation? And as for postponement of matches, whilst I like watching matches its something I can live without they will all get played eventually.
Yes, but the difference between that match played in 1952 and the matches postponed last weekend is due to the manner in which people conducted themselves. Nobody would've dreamed of making a protest against the monarchy at such a time - and there were plenty of Republicans around in those days - whereas now the actions of a few people among a crowd of thousands lead to the game not going ahead.
That's not how democracy works. And the protestors will be quick to shout about their rights while ignoring others. Free speech my eye.

Different era now. Football is BIG business, clubs and the governing body (understandably) like to protect the image of the game wherever possible. Last thing they'd want is muppets shouting/chanting anti-monarchy stuff at this sensitive time. Plus, with social media and tv coverage, it's not as if any incidents would be confined to the stadium in which they occurred, the world would get to know about it.

Therefore rightly or wrongly, they postponed games for a few days.

Football went ahead and nobody considered it disrespectful: after a minutes silence, impeccably observed, the whistle blew and the game went ahead - matches were not played last week and the reason given by the Premier League is because they were concerned some fans would use it as an opportunity to display the kind of behaviour seen in Edinburgh or outside the gates of Buckingham Palace where protestors demand their right to Freedom of Speech.

What about the Brown Shirts demonstrating, during WWII? Minorities have always been able to cause disruption, the difference this time is that such disruptions tend to be viewable world wide.

At this moment it seems to me the Royal Family is the glue holding the Kingdom United and to abolish this ancient institution would be an act of cultural vandalism on a scale with the Russian Revolution.
The most expensive 'glue' in history...

Looking forward to it's abolition! (y)

Here you go, this is the type of publicity clubs don't want

A similar incident happened before the match in Dublin at Shamrock Rovers stadium - but seeing as they're Republican Irish, it's understandable.
But the Football Supporters Association in England argued it was a perfect time for the majority of fans to gather and pay their respects.
In a democracy. the majority rules whether you agree with that or not.
Whenever people go on about their right to free speech they forget that freedom comes with a responsibility: in this case, to respect the wishes of a majority of fans.

Whenever people go on about their right to free speech they forget that freedom comes with a responsibility: in this case, to respect the wishes of a majority of fans.
So sod the 'minority', however you wish to calculate said 'minority'?

Do you also condemn the person thrown to the ground and arrested for calling andrew out for what he is - a sick old man!

Sponsored Links
Back