The Waterproof System on the Miele W919 wps

If I open it up ,is the idea to look at the pressure tube?Where is it and how will I test it?

Sponsored Links
So as the machine fills with water, pressure builds in a plastic tube at the front of the tub. There is a hose that leads from this tube up to a pressure switch. You have removed the lid and you may be able to see a black hose (not a thick hose) on the right coming up to a circular device.

The water level (and so the pressure in the tube) has to get to a set point within a set time. If not the inlet light will light up. This may be due to a valve issue, or a fault with the pressure sensing.
A couple of years ago I had a w2000 model which had a gummed up pressure tube.

I've been thinking in that if you can unplug the end of the back hose from the pressure tube from the pressure sensor at the top you should be able to blow down and into the pressure tube. That can save opening the front.

I've found a video where the person has opened their machine. Their pressure switch is a grey circle thing. The pressure tube is by the heating element in the tub.

Secondly I found this website where the person is testing their WPS hose. I'm not that keen on mixing electricity and water so closely but..

http://www.berlin-repariert.de/miele-aquastop-schlauch/

and this leads on from

http://www.berlin-repariert.de/miele-novotronic-w986-aquastop-schlauch-defekt/

Both ends of the hose are threaded!
What if you stuck a plain hose onto the end? Would it matter because the triple valves are closed anyway?

All of the WPS hoses I have are not threaded at the machine end, only the tap end.

Both ends of the hose are threaded!
What if you stuck a plain hose onto the end? Would it matter because the triple valves are closed anyway?

All of the WPS hoses I have are not threaded at the machine end, only the tap end.

Is that the same question I posed at the very outset? Can I replace the wps hose with a plain hose?

I am not sure what you are getting at by "the triple valves are closed anyway". Would a plain hose not prevent the machine from opening and closing the valves as required?

Don't the wires connecting the valves with the wps box facilitate that?

I am wondering if I connect the machine directly to the mains (and so increase the water pressure) the problem will not just go away. It would be a very simple solution and I should have that set up anyway. Even though my plumber says there is no problem with the water pressure it may be that a boost will help (and ,in any case that is what Miele would surely recommend)

I cannot see yet the "plastic tube at the front of the tub" you have described in the last post . Perhaps when I open up the front it will be more obvious(and easy to get at)

Newer machines with WPS have only one valve unit and this is located in the WPS hose. So if this goes you HAVE to replace it with another.
However, on the german website (Thank you Leon) it showed a threaded end connecting to a triple valve.
You MAY have the luxury of being able to replace it with a standard hose.

Notice the word may. I don't know if the electrical connection is needed to keep the other valves working.
Behind the front panel (inner door) may be a schematic in a bag which could answer this question.

They certainly don't make them like they used to.

Sponsored Links
Hi again,I have opened up the front (swung open the door without mishap) and I think I have found the schematic you are referring to.

It is a small plastic bag with two pieces of paper. The first one looks like an electric diagram for the machine and the second is merely the legend in about a dozen or so different languages that explains what the likes of " M40" stands for.

Do you want me to look for something in particular?

I still can't see anything connected with "pressure tube from the pressure sensor at the top " even though I have opened up the front ;(

So I see nothing obvious to blow down ,sadly.

EDIT:unless you mean the white (ribbed) tube that goes up into the near corner of the soap drawer.There is a circular quarter wheel shaped bit of plastic at the "head" of it. It looks a bit fiddly to get at . I can't do any damage ,can I?

I think I would at least have to remove the large hose that takes water into the machine before I could get near it at all.

By the way ,my new technique of starting the machine once ,waiting for it to abort and restarting seems like it might be "successful".

Does that tell us anything.? Am I "getting the better" of the program in the machine?

Last edited:
At the front by the connection to the heating elements is a plastic tube like this

http://s3.amazonaws.com/f01.justanswer.com/Ken2708/2009-06-03_103506_DSCN0805a.jpg

There is a black hose coming from it.

The ribbed tube is a breather tube from the pump. Does it end at this cap?

http://i.imgur.com/yvvviDd.jpg

That needs to be clean too. Its easier to get at from the bottom rather than the top. If you are brave you can blow up through it or if you have a syringe (like a turkey baster)...

Here is a video (It is for a new machine) where they clean the trap.

At the front by the connection to the heating elements is a plastic tube like this

http://s3.amazonaws.com/f01.justanswer.com/Ken2708/2009-06-03_103506_DSCN0805a.jpg

There is a black hose coming from it.

The ribbed tube is a breather tube from the pump. Does it end at this cap?

http://i.imgur.com/yvvviDd.jpg

That needs to be clean too. Its easier to get at from the bottom rather than the top. If you are brave you can blow up through it or if you have a syringe (like a turkey baster)...

Here is a video (It is for a new machine) where they clean the trap.
Sorry I didn't get back sooner. I have a decent work around got now with an extra length of garden hose leading into the soap tray (from a separate tap) that I turn on for the first 4 or 5 minutes to increase the pressure on the pressure sensor.

Until I get around to plumbing in the outside water supply directly to regularize the situation (circumvent the water tanks that I now use) this jiggery pokery will keep me going for now ;)

It is a better system than emptying water jugs into the soap drawer (more predictable/adjustable)

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back