The way to a man's heart is through his stomach?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
You know how it is tradition that an American places their right hand over their heart during any moment of national pride or solemn reflection?

Here is a photo taken during a moment of silence on the 11/9 just gone... :confused:

capt.whre11109111723.bush_sept_11_anniversary_whre111.jpg

Sponsored Links
securespark said:
I-as s hoe-ull!

Say what you see.......

Young lady to our left, seems unsure which to use.

From here
Interesting story about the hand over the heart. In the US, only military personnel are supposed to salute at the forehead. Civilians are to salute the flag and the National Anthem with their hands over their hearts. As an Aussie, you may or may not have heard of the Pledge of Allegiance. It's a simple statement of loyalty that Americans learn in their childhood. It goes:

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America
And to the Republic for which it stands; one Nation, under God, indivisible
With liberty and justice for all.

Now it's original form was shorter:

I pledge allegiance to my flag and the republic for which it stands
One Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all

Before you started the pledge, you gave the military salute. When you spoke the words, "to my flag," you extended your right arm straight ahead and raised it at an angle towards the flag. Sound familiar? It was called the Bellamy Salute after Francis Bellamy, the Pledge's author, and it was very similar to the Roman Salute. In 1942, when the Roman Salute had become associated with the Nazis, the Bellamy was replaced with the hand over the heart. During the Second World War, the playing of the Star Spangled Banner at sporting events became commonplace and the new gesture was adopted for that as well.

Sounds plausible ?

P

Sponsored Links
**WANTED** - short politically correct, humorous and witty anecdote, no more than 100 characters lon

"It's always in the last place you look" Why would you carry on looking ?

73 characters inc spaces, according to M$W !!

No ?? Ok ThoughtNot ! ;)
P

She exclaimed "It's always in the last place I look".
"Why would you carry on looking ?" He replied
99 characters inc. spaces
Actually was a very short account of an interesting and humorous incident, at the time.

P

mildmanneredjanitor said:
OK, I'm lost now... and what's an apho... whatsit??? :D

It's a brief, pithy saying, or an adage. The kind of thing yer gran used to say to you, or the sort of nonsense saying that isn't really a lot of use.

dingbat said:
mildmanneredjanitor said:
OK, I'm lost now... and what's an apho... whatsit??? :D

It's a brief, pithy saying, or an adage. The kind of thing yer gran used to say to you, or the sort of nonsense saying that isn't really a lot of use.
People in glass houses...
Look after your pennies...
Etc.
:D

securespark said:
pipme said:
Say what you see.......

Young lady to our left, seems unsure which to use.

They both do!![/quote]

Actually in very rare cases the heart can be on the right side of the chest! :p

ahhhhhh! You've got me there pipme! :oops: trying to be too clever again.

although the lady may just be covering all the bases!

Sponsored Links
Back