theoretical question..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If I wanted to find out who owned a disused building or plot of land, or wanted to find plans of a disused building, who would I have to talk to?

would the land registry be my best bet?

Sponsored Links
local planning may have some info as well, and council tax etc. Can be very hard to track down owners. ALso worth speaking to neighbours

it's a medium size office block that is derelict but I think would make 10 excelent flats.. with secure parking and is located near to the middle of a fairly major town..

I just need to get drawings to make some plans and then contact the owners to put my ideas forward..

doubt they'll even listen to me but if I can convince them it's a good idea they might do it and cut me in for a slice of the proffit..

a picture of the block..

another picture..

a final picture

how do you post clickable thumbnails? i've seen them on other posts..

Sponsored Links
not wanting to spoil your parade, but dont you think the owners have thought of that one already?

perhaps they are waiting for PP

Developers are constantly on the lookout for potential sites so I think it would be safe to assume that even if the owners havn't, one or more such animals will have come up with the idea of conversion; but development of a building such as that will cost a small fortune & it may be cheaper to knock it down & start again. As for the owners of the site cutting you a slice of the action, why on earth would they do that? Even less likely if, by some remote chance, they hadn’t thought of it themselves & you give them the idea!

Something you may not know; by a strange quirk of planning law which doesn't really make sence to me is that you don’t have to own a site or building to apply & actually get PP so there is nothing to stop you going ahead on your own but, of course, the owners will find out pretty quickly.

That`s allegedly owned by the Bob Maxwell Pension Fund

Richard C said:
Something you may not know; by a strange quirk of planning law which doesn't really make sence to me is that you don’t have to own a site or building to apply & actually get PP so there is nothing to stop you going ahead on your own but, of course, the owners will find out pretty quickly.

Bit of a stupid thing to do without a PUT option!

Wasn't that place Hartwell Charles Clark Rover car dealership which closed down in the early 2000's? If so, the owners will have plans to convert it or redevelop the site. Walk away your wasting your time I reckon.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back