There's THICK ...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
... and then there's this muppet!

Between August 19 and September 5, the woman sent 4.4 million yen (£27,350) to her apparent husband-to-be after he said he needed the money to cover the cost of a rocket and landing fees to return to Earth so the pair could tie the knot.

Sponsored Links
You cannot get yer ead around some of the scams that people actually fall for

Than they attempt to blame every one else banks ect demanding there money back

There's more to it than that with romance scams.

They fall in love. The photo they are sent is of someone else and that is who they fall in love with. Some of these people are lonely and are flattered that someone else is taking an interest in them.

Sponsored Links
There's more to it than that with romance scams.

They fall in love. The photo they are sent is of someone else and that is who they fall in love with. Some of these people are lonely and are flattered that someone else is taking an interest in them.
Yeah all true, these scammers are scum, however ... heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeello !!!!!! Alarm bells?!?

after he said he needed the money to cover the cost of a rocket and landing fees to return to Earth

Blinded by "love".

He might as well have said he needed the cash to bring Elvis back from the dead...

Blinded by "love".

He might as well have said he needed the cash to bring Elvis back from the dead...
You're right. Anyway I must dash. I need to wire £150k to my new 24 year old girlfriend in America. I've not had the chance to speak with her yet, she's so busy working as an airline pilot and top surgeon in her spare time. But we've texted. Unfortunately all of her funds are tied up just now and she requires the £150k to put fuel in the Boeing jet she flies. She's going to use it for the weekend (she says American Airlines don't mind) to fly over and meet me at long last.

I can't wait :)

Ground control to Major Tom my cards been stopped there is something wrong, can you here me Major Tom!

All joking aside, some people are desperate for someone to love them. There’s a programme on the the telly each day about it. I start off thinking 'what an idiot' but I feel very sorry for them when they get cleaned out of every penny plus more (some have taken out loans). It’s easy for us who have a wife/husband/partner to criticise but it’s not easy for some people to form a relationship. Loneliness must be absolutely awful for some who yearn to have a partner.

All joking aside, some people are desperate for someone to love them. There’s a programme on the the telly each day about it. I start off thinking 'what an idiot' but I feel very sorry for them when they get cleaned out of every penny plus more (some have taken out loans). It’s easy for us who have a wife/husband/partner to criticise but it’s not easy for some people to form a relationship. Loneliness must be absolutely awful for some who yearn to have a partner.
I get all that and fully agree. However, once again ...

after he said he needed the money to cover the cost of a rocket and landing fees to return to Earth

I get all that and fully agree. However, once again ...

Who ever truly knows the victims circumstances? Yes, not many people of sound mind would fall for it but these scammers are on the lookout for the vulnerable. For all we know, the woman who was conned could have mental issues.

Who ever truly knows the victims circumstances? Yes, not many people of sound mind would fall for it but these scammers are on the lookout for the vulnerable. For all we know, the woman who was conned could have mental issues.
The woman reported the space cowboy to police after she eventually grew suspicious

You could of course be right and I'd never seek to make light of the situation these women (and men) find themselves in. However based on excerpts from the article I'm not convinced she has mental issues in the sense of being mentally challenged.

I also think, in this day and age, there's more and more articles and tv progs about this stuff. Yes, theoretically any of us could be caught out, however when things just don't add up from relatively early on I mean, come on, wake up and smell the coffee!

I'm a 28 year old millionaire international business tycoon living in California (he says to the 68 year old retired chicken plucker from Newcastle) and would love to fly across to meet you. However all my cash is tied up in stocks at present, can you wire me $10k?

So he doesn't have family/friends he can ask? And a millionaire has literally ALL their money tied up?!?

I saw some of those tv progs (the one with Kym Marsh) and even when they were blatantly telling an old boy (and showing him evidence) that the 20 odd year old stunna from Russia was actually a Nigerian male scammer ... he still said along the lines of 'yes, now I'm 85% convinced it's not true.'

?!?!?

What the actual ****!!!

Yep, but you need to always keep your feet firmly on the ground and think with your head, not your heart.

You could of course be right and I'd never seek to make light of the situation these women (and men) find themselves in. However based on excerpts from the article I'm not convinced she has mental issues in the sense of being mentally challenged.

None of those in the TV program seemed to have any such issues, and most did seem to be quite intelligent. The thing is, that alarm bells should ring as soon as mention is made of any need for money, no matter what the reason.

Sponsored Links
Back