Thermal cutout

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Immersion heater failed ... reason: 'ressetable' thermal cutout that doesn't want to reset.

Ordering a replacement http://sinolec.co.uk/en/manual-reset-thermostat/450-thermostat-90-closed.html but the original was adhered to the metal of the heater, which would obviously give a good transfer of heat.

I'm thinking if I just tighten up the nuts without suitable adhesive, there maybe won't be sufficient transfer of heat.

Perhaps it's not necessary but I'd feel better if it was stuck on, like the original.

Question is ... what's a suitable adhesive that will conduct the heat?

Sponsored Links
Never had to replace one of those, and would not want to rely on un untried/untested glue given the heat it might be subjected to.

If I were you, I would replace the thermostat with one that includes an integrated cutout. A small change to the wiring would be needed to bypass the faulty cutout.
One of THESE would do the job
IHST11SLASHC.JPG

*note* there are different lengths, depending on length of the element.

Silicon heat transfer grease normally white comes in small tubes used for transistors and the like.

In the main where there is two forms of heating a resettable type is used. If electric only then non resettable type is used. If electric only then always replace thermostat if the over temp switch fails.

The one you show is NOT suitable. Where there is an alternative form of heating then that alternative form may have caused the emergency trip to open with no fault with main thermostat so a resettable type is used. Where it is electric only for it to fail the thermostat must be faulty and the pair should be renewed together.

Where there is alternative forms of water heating which can result in over heating then the header tank should be made of non heat degrading material. You can get plastic tanks but they are rigid not the standard flexible type.

This is why you must not use type linked to

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that, I've not seen stats with built-in thermal cutouts before (or if I have, not realised it).

Certainly makes sense to replace with a stat/cutout combined ... don't want to take chances.

It's just electric heating, and the building (or refurb) is only a year old, but it's obviously failed for reason.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back