Thermal Insullation of new Floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello - I am building a new ensuite in my garage. On the plans the termal spec is to be better than 0.22w/m2 to meet. The arhitects plan ays use 100mm instalation and 75mm scree to scheive this value.

However there is not room to do do this and still maintain a level floor across rooms.

The perminter of the new floor is 7m and the area 4m2. Is any one able to tell me the minimum thickness of celotx I would need to use? I am now thinking of using a 'stud' floror construction.

Would really appreacte the help.

Sponsored Links
As mentioned you can get 60mm rigid and 18mm Plywood, that will achieve a U Value of 0.27. See if Mr BC is happy with that first as its a garage con.

Sponsored Links
Is your floor area flat and level ?
If so I would suggest 50mm or if you can get it easily 60mm Cellotex or similar laid over a damp proof membrane with a 22mm tongue and groove chipboard floor laid over as a floating floor.
I would say this would be acceptable to your BCO.

Thanks - floor is level and flat.

so would you recomend using some wooden 'joists' to support the togue and groove floor? Or is it ok to lay the floor striaght on top - eg floating.

Cheers

No need for joists, just glue your boards together and dont forget to leave an expansion gap against your walls.

Thanks.

In terms of the construction of the new wall between the ensuite and the garage I intend on 3 courses of bricks, DPM lapped into course 2 and then a stud wall built ontop with 100mm celotex. Any thoughts? Would you use a DPM or a paint on DPC?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back