Thermal paste on motherboard chipset heatsink?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just thought.

I installed a 2nd hand motherboard and running W7

The onboard graphics, GF7025 nforce 630a, turns the screen from picture to blue fizzle after running for a while.

If its a overheat issue I thought maybe taking the chipset heatsink off and applying some paste ?

Sponsored Links
Well if you do it properly it can't do any harm, but I have never needed to do anything like that for on-board graphics.

Install speedfan, depending upon the motherboard it will or won't have a reading for the GPU and other gubbins, it may help. But also be wary of high but steady readings, I.E I have one motherboard that always reads 60C on the chip-set no matter what.

Sponsored Links
Check your graphics drivers are up to date and are the manufacturer recommended ones. I have an HP lappy that overheats if I don't use the official HP graphics driver.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

what is the difference between that and the more expensive Arctic silver 5?

I recently need some thermal paste and just opted for the one mentioned most frequently in other forums.

Cheaper, thicker (may need spreading in some cases), no thermal cycling required (AS5 needs a few thermal cycles before it performs properly, don't ask me why), very slightly inferior performance.

Either works fine. If you don't know which to use, you don't need AS5.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Back