Thermal plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hopefully someone can give me some advice on the following issue.

I have a new build property (about 10 years old) the house is L shaped with a dining room and double garage forming the L. My problem is the dining room is always freezing, at least 3 degrees cooler than any other room in the house. We moved into the house just over 5 years ago and we have had to gut more or less every room so it's been the last job on my mind, however it has now got to a point where I need to do something about it. I have checked the radiator and it is always hot and I have made sure it is suitable for the size of room 4.5m suare.

My gut feeling is because the room is one level high the heat is escaping out of the ceiling, now there is insulation above the ceiling but I plan on making this double thickness. The dining room roof space is open into the garage for I presume access.

Has anyone used the thermal plasterboard? I was intially thinking of just doing the ceiling and then maybe the two outerwalls but I don't want to goto all that expense if it's not going to resolve my issue. Or does anyone else have any suggestions?

Thanks for taking the time to read.

Sponsored Links
3° is a lot of difference for it to be just heat loss

First, I would consider just uprating the radiator, as that will be the least disruptive

Whatever you can do for upgrading the ceiling insulation will bring the most benefit. Aim for 300mm of quilt

For walls, the insulated plasterboard is not that efficient if less than 50mm insulation. But its difficult to say if the 25mm board will be sufficient for you - it will need a calculation to determine the cost/benefits

Give the choice, I would always go go for separate insulation board and plasterboard. This is so that you can use the more efficient foil backed board such as Celotex or Kingspan - which allows you to have the same efficiency with less thickness compared to standard insulated plasterboard

As for the open roof to the garage, if you mean completely open, then consider partitioning it off and just have an access door through this partition.

Thank you for taking time to respond.

I think I will do as you say and initially upgrade the insulation and increase the rad size and then take it from there. Because of the roof design it is quite difficult to close off the gap between the garage and dining room but it might be possible to just cut some kingspan to size and block it off.

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
What is the construction of the door into the garage I'd wager its just a panelled chipboard fire door and will do little to retain any heat.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back