Thermal storage tank overflowing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have an Albion mains flow cased indirect MFT200 Contractor thermal store tank that has started dripping water out if the overflow pipe constantly, the turns into a trickle when the boiler is heating the water, is this likely to be the float valve at fault or something more sinister? The tank is around 6 years old.
Any advice much appreciated

Jon

Sponsored Links
Turn off the supply to the ball valve that fills the store, if the leak continues one of the coils has gone so you will need to replace the whole cylinder.

Ok, looking at the tank the only adjustable valve appears to be the water pressure adjustment valve, if I turn this to zero does this stop the cold water supply. Also , think you already know this, but it's hot water that's coming out of the overflow

ALBION???? utter carp
Hopefully it is just the ball-valve - but my experience with these awfull contraptions is that the hot water coil has failed so new tank (worth checking the ball valve first of course but I wouldn't hold out too much hope!! :evil:

Sponsored Links
Going by the amount of households down my street that have had boilers replaced In the last few years I would tend to agree

..sorry, storage heaters is what I meant!
Storage heater not covered on my heating cover I've just read in the small print!!! Need to get cover and wait 60 days till its covered me thinks !!

Given that it's likely to be a faulty cylinder, can anyone suggest a reliable alternative to the one I've got and how much should I expect to pay including fitting ?

The last albion Thermal store we took out was replaced with an Ariston STI 210 Unvented Hot Water Cylinder - mind you you have to be G.3 Qualified to install it, there will be some pipe work modifications required and the primary side will need sealing or an F&E tank fitting to serve it ;)

Thanks boilerman2. The current unit has max flow rate of 30L/min, primary coil operation of 3.5 bar and a 210 litre capacity , would the ariston meet same criteria? Also been looking at a megaflo thermal store, has anyone had any experience with these as they seem to get good reviews !

Can someone verify that I have proved its a faulty cylinder, I isolated the incoming cold to the property and drained the taps ! What happened is that the overflow pipe stopped leaking but the leak in effect went in reverse and continuously dripped out of the hot water tap, closing the tap meant the water came back out if the overflow ! ?

Definately a failed coil I'm afraid - (oh look! I'm suprised!!)
The reason these ALBION units were fitted is that the Primary cirucit was open vented via the store, the Hot water was mains fed via a coil within the store, this provided mains pressure HW but the installer did not require the G3 Qualification to install

An Unvented Cylinder works in reverse the tank is full of potable hot water, the coil is heated by the boiler hence the need for pipework and system reconfiguration described earlier

IMHO Unvented Cylinder (any Stainless Steel type would be good)
as for size? if you have only 2-4 perople in the house 150 litres would be large enough, if it is a fair sized 4-5 Bed house 210 Litre would be nearer the mark ;)

I can't believe a cylinder would go after just 6 yrs!!!
So a unvented system will still give me mains pressured HW? I take it a G3 qual is like the dogs danglies? Would I be safe to assume I'm talking in the region of 2k supplied and installed?

Always difficult to speculate on price on a forum, but if the cylinder is in an accessible position and there is enough room to re-work the pipe work £2k should cover it and hopefully leave you a bit of change ! ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back