Thermal Store and ABV

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Am looking to have a small biomass system installed and want an Evohome system as control system.
Looking at some of the literature around Thermal Stores I'm puzzled as to why they need bypass valves. If all the TRV's shut at once then surely this doesn't affect the flow from the boiler to the store? Or am I missing something?

Sponsored Links
I think that you are misunderstanding.

There are several different arrangements for thermal stores.

Usually the boiler has a pump to flow to and heat the store.

The store then has another pump to circulate to the rads. Its the rad circuit that needs an ABV to allow flow if all TRVs have closed.

Tony Glazier

If its not a pellet boiler then you don't want complex controls. A pellet boiler operates similar to an oil boiler in that the fuel supply can be controlled automatically.
If its a log boiler then the boiler goes into heat dump mode and the rads accept the heat.
Can be a store fitted or not. Simples.

Am looking to have a small biomass system installed and want an Evohome system as control system.
Looking at some of the literature around Thermal Stores I'm puzzled as to why they need bypass valves. If all the TRV's shut at once then surely this doesn't affect the flow from the boiler to the store? Or am I missing something?

Are you after pellet or logs? Most of the decent range of pellet boilers have very clever controls, which can act as a good saving against bolting anything on.

Your TRV's are after the store so will not affect it. Are you getting confused by a ladomat type valve after the boiler before the store?

What make of boilers are you looking at?

Sponsored Links
It's a pellet boiler which will be installed, along with the thermal store, by a local installer who is used to these systems but not the Evohome system.
I can't see why there needs to be a bypass valve between the store and the radiators. I understand the need, with some boilers, to dump excess heat after the boiler has shut down but can't see why this is necessary on the other side of the store. I.e. The radiator circuit. But I may be missing something here?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back