Thermal store expansion vessel on incoming cold is it reqd?

G

Goldspoon

I have a situation with a leak (weep) on the small 2L expansion vessel on a vented thermal store. The vessel is on the incoming cold side (i.e. before the mains pressure cold enters the coil for indirect warming.

Now I have fitted a number of thermal stores before and have seen stores with and without this expansion vessel. I understand that the vessel is there because the water in the coil heats upo and therefore expands.

As some stores have this and some do not - can I just remove it rather than replacing?

Presumably any expansion would just "push back against the incoming mains pressure?

Sponsored Links
That looks like a trade enquiry!

It depends upon the volume of the dhw coil. If it less than, I think, 15 litres, you do not need any dhw expansion. If your main stop tap has a completely loose jumper, it can act as a non-return valve, and expansion could be blocked.

They act as an expansion and shock arrester. If there is a meter fitted then you will have no expansion down the main.

If it's a kingspan cylinder then I would re-fit a 2l vessel.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back