Thermal Store - Odd dripping from F/E Tank Ballcock

Hi,

There is no water overflowing from the F/E tank though.

Can no one argue against my two points regarding the coil? I really am at a loss with this. Engineer should be here this afternoon but I dont think he will have any new ideas.

Cheers,

Mike

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Another update, new BG engineer today scratching his head. Had another good look at the system and discovered the Thermostatic Mixing/Blending valve was not working properly, it was drawing 100% hot water, and not mixing cold.

He said this would cause the tank to be under more stress temperature wise as it was feeding purely the hotest water it could. He said that would cause a big drop in temp and a fluctuation in the header tank which could cause the dripping.

(I am not so sure)

So he replaced the valve and set it to blend properly, and I have noticed that the boiler isn't kicking in so soon when I run hot water now (and its not super scolding lol). But I am still not convinced it fixed.

He also said that a) my F/E tank looks a bit small for my system and b) that because I have used Sentinel X400 to flush, and Sentinel X100 inhibitor there *may* be some reaction between that and any old stuff (non-sentinel etc) that has been used before to "gas" the system abit which could cause the problem.

He recommended me maybe putting some more X100 in as it contains some anit-gasing agent, although he did say it was like less than 5% or something.

I can't argue with any of his points as I don't know enough about the system.

Interestingly before he looked at the system, he asked if I had "discoloured" hot water as there may be a problem with the coil in the tank, when I said no he dismissed that, and then when I said about the other engineer saying it would feed mains pressure water into my tank if that was the case, he agreed and said it probably was not the coil then.

He called the other engineer who was here, and then said the same as him. If the coil in the tank was gone there would be mains pressure water getting in my tank, and the overflow would be going mental.

Hmmm. Will see if how it goes over the weekend.

I can't say I have not got moneysworth from Homecare 200 this year. New circulation Pump, New pot in Boiler, New Circuit Board in boiler, new thermostat in boiler, New ball vavle in F/E tank and now a new Thermostatic Blender valve.

Cheers,

Mike

Not that it has any thing to do with ya problem ur tanks incorectly piped up with the ballvalve lower than the overflow.

Sorry, I meant the ballcock sits lower than the overflow, the ballvalve is actually piped above the overflow if I remember correctly.

My dripping was back yesterday when I used a lot of hot water again, but I had also turned up the thermostatic blender valve. Grrrr I just give up with it and am going to live with it until my system just gives up the ghost I am totally out of ideas.

:(

Mike

Sponsored Links
Start of the cold snap update :)

Still doing it, although since all the changes have been done to my system its not as bad, but still there.

Basically the ballcock will only drip now when I use alot of hot water in one go, for example when having a shower.

If I fill the sink for a wash, or use the sink downstairs to wash pots its ok. No dripping. The central heating has been getting a good amount of use and the boiler has been put through its paces the last few nights. When the heating is running it doesnt seem to drip, unless I use the shower at the same time.

Seems to be only when I use shower/bath. I guess I will just have to live with it for now as BG really don't know what the problem is.

Really can't understand it, very annoying.

Mike

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back