Thermal store or twin coil hot water cylinder?

bsw

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to install a stratford tf90 boiler stove and intend to use this to run my central heating and domestic hot water. I have a four bedroomed house with 14 radiators and two bathrooms, which at present have electric showers but these may be replaced with mixer ones in the future. I would like to install a solar hot water system in a year or so so whatever i fit now should be able to cope with that. I don't know the best way forward ie thermal store v cylinder and would appreciate any advice. :confused:

Sponsored Links
I am not sure of what you are expecting a thermal store to give you.

However be aware that solar will only give you about 60% of your hot water demand but will not help your heating at all.

If you are using a solar installer take their advice.

If not then try to find a solar course to attend. Some firms charge abiout £200 for their course but give it back in vouchers for their products. But you have to choose your supplier first!

Tony

bsw";p="938832 said:
I am about to install a stratford tf90 boiler stove quote]

Can you turn it off and on via a thermostat? ie, is it a controllable output? If not you can't use it with an unvented cylinder.

I'm unsure if I really need a thermalstore as the stove will be on most of the time. I'm not bothered about it not being on all night as it will be easy enough to light in the morning and the house is well insulated anyway so it won't lose too much heat over night. The idea about using solar in the future is so that when the stove isn't on in the summer ( when we in the north get them! ) it will be easier on the electric. Thats the plan anyway or am I just not being realistic? My original plan was to get a hot water cylinder with a twin coil which will go in my loft space until I read about thermalstores so I am begining to think I should stick with that plan.... any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
I am about to install a stratford tf90 boiler stove and intend to use this to run my central heating and domestic hot water. I have a four bedroomed house with 14 radiators and two bathrooms, which at present have electric showers but these may be replaced with mixer ones in the future. I would like to install a solar hot water system in a year or so so whatever i fit now should be able to cope with that. I don't know the best way forward ie thermal store v cylinder and would appreciate any advice. :confused:

A thermals store is exactly what you need.

We all know that Dr D cannot hide for too long when the thermal store subject is raised :rolleyes:

Yes indeed. He's our very own Doctor Strangelove.

He's Doctor Strangedrivel. :D

dr_strangelove_1.jpg

Dont you mean Dr Big Drivel ?
I sincerely thank you for introducing me to the brand new experience of being astonished at your ability to turn the subtle into the crass.

Yes indeed. He's our very own Doctor Strangelove.

He's Doctor Strangedrivel. :D

dr_strangelove_1.jpg

This Dr Drivel-love must be a hell of a guy to have such a fan club. I'll have to do a search on his posts. Most I have come across are very good.

This Dr Drivel-love must be a hell of a guy to have such a fan club.
"He" is a women. Did you not know?

I'll have to do a search on his posts. Most I have come across are very good.
You've have to do a better search then, because you've got the wrong impression.

She was stupid enough to think that DIY gas work is legal. :rolleyes:

Why don't you phone Aaarow's technical department (01308 427234) and tell them what you are thinking of doing? You will probably get more sensible advice, without the rubbish that sometimes creeps in to the posts on this site.
;) :cry: :LOL:

Why don't you phone Aaarow's technical department (01308 427234) and tell them what you are thinking of doing? You will probably get more sensible advice, without the rubbish that sometimes creeps in to the posts on this site.
;) :cry: :LOL:

Talk about not seeing the wood for the trees!!!
Great suggestion, i will tomorrow am...cheers,
Take care.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back