Thermal trip on 12V under-cabinet kitchen lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have been following threads for a while - some good advice coming from knowledgeable people here.

I have a problem with some low-voltage, under-cabinet kitchen lights that I hope someone can help me with.

I have a 3A FCU coming off the kitchen ring main to which I have 3 banks of low-voltage halogens connected via a normal light switch. Each bank is a self contained unit with 4x20W g4 lamps and a transformer. They are not interlinked.

This all worked fine until we started using the kettle under one of them. At least I believe this is the cause. This unit will shut off, but left alone for a while it will come back on. I think this is the thermal protection of the transformer cutting in.

Any suggestions? Are there products specifically designed for this application - or do I have to keep the work-surface area where the kettle is, dark? My only thought so far is to buy separate lights/transformer and site the transformer somewhere else.

Sponsored Links
At great risk ,breezer, isn't this one of those "obvious" replies you hate so much? No offence!

i was just going off the boil when i read origonal post, i was a bit steamed up by something

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the quick response. Yes moving the kettle was the obvious choice, but not preferable or easy given that all the kitchen work surfaces are covered by these low-voltage halogens.

I was rather hoping someone could suggest a product that was capable of dealing with this scenario - or a way round it. It doesn't seem like it would be an uncommon one.

Perhaps someone could comment on my thoughts of using a separate transformer and halogens - that way I could move the transformer out of harms way. Should I be considering a high IP rating for the lamp housing too - say IP65?

I opened up the self-contained unit, removed the transformer and then re-wired the transformer above the kitchen cabinets. The unit now has 12v going into it from the, now, external transformer - instead of 240v. Siting the transformer away from the extra sources of heat/steam seems to have sorted it. I couldn't move the kettle, since any part of the kitchen work-surface I moved it to, would have had a bank of halogens (with integral transformer) above it .

80/12=6.66A

i hope what you used for the low voltage link can handle this safely

Using the number of the beast is inviting trouble....you should have said 6.67A..... :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back