Thermally broken aluminium windows - "freezing" to touch?

I disagree with 1/
some points
1. as aluminium is highly conductive to heat, it will heat up quickly in a warm room. Of course, it won't do that if the frame is thermally broken then your heat is transferred outside

Thermally broken means the inside section of aluminium isn't actually touching the outside section but for a plastic insert which is the 'thermal break', the thermal break stops the heat transfer to the outside

Is this an AI chatGPT response because it reads like it

Sponsored Links
i don't think I'm a bot ;) apologies for my typo

an interesting test is to get a cheap "Infrared Thermometer aka Non-Contact Digital Laser Temperature Gun". you can quite clearly soon find what the real cause of the problem is ie where the cold is coming from. In my case there was a 7 degree temperature delta from window frame to wall in some rooms but not others. at a mates house the same equipment on similar windows had a 2-3 degree delta (which is probably reasonable). this proves that the problem is either a brige within the window frame construction OR from the subframe to the window frame (in my case)

Haha this is where things can get really fun and complicated lol
BFRC ratings (A,B,C etc) are basically a con, Mainly due to the fact it takes solar gain into consideration, You may have noticed we live in the UK and some windows will never get any sun.

As soon as you put a trickle vent in a window, Or leads or Georgian bars or any other change from a basic window it is no longer A,B or C rated. A trickle vent would drop it completely off the scale but they force us to fit them and still call it an A rated window.

There are very few Aluminum manufacturers that claim above a B or C rating. As far as I am concerned (and I used to make and mainly fit Ali) it is mainly a commercial product for shopfronts. For homes I only recommend them for bi-folds due to all the moving parts and the extra strength needed for the complexity.

The glass is way more thermally efficient than the frames. PVC is best due to its multiple chambers but still not as good as a modern spec sealed glass unit.

Basically U values are the best thing to go by. The ratings scale was brought out to make it less confusing to homeowners.
No sealed unit had an ' energy rating ' , so.it is the make up of frame and sealed unit that make the a,b,c , etc. . In England building regs state we can not fit any wi down with an energy rating less than C and it has been this way since 2010. So if recently fitted they will me a minimum of C .... or the uvalue equivalent. A sealed unit used in an Arated window should have Diamant Glass ( low iron , optically clear increasing thr amount of sun through it ....contributing to the g value ) , a warm edge spacer bar ( plastic rather than the traditional aluminium of the past ) and then a low e glass ( Hest reflecting glass , usually Planitherm but most have heard of Pilkington K Glass ) , and then it will be filled with a minimum of 90% Argon gas . Units in B rated have no diamant glass , and units in c rated no diamant glass and ali spacer bar

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back