Thermometer & pressure gauge for flexible hose...(aquarium)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am using a 16/22mm flexible hose to change water on my 1300L aquarium. I need to do this each week.

It would be very useful if I could tell the temperature of the water flowing through the hose, and also it's pressure (I can only run 9L per minute though my carbon cannister - make the water 'fish safe').

Was thinking of something like this for the temperature (https://www.amazon.co.uk/dial-surfa...=1484307290&sr=1-15&keywords=pipe+thermometer), but am worried about accuracy. I don't need to get the temperature exactly tight (hose is connected to mixer taps) but it does need to be within 5°C of existing aquarium water to avoid shock to the fish.

Any thoughts?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Does the water not enter the aquarium until your happy with the temperature? do you simply place the other end of the hose into the aquarium and leave it or is it physically connected? What's the pressure bit for and how low/high of pressure are you needing to read? Or by pressure was you just meaning flow rate?

Hi,

Sorry yes, for pressure I just mean flow rate.

The water enters the aquarium right away via a permanently attached hose. As long as the temperature reaches an acceptable level fairly quickly, then it's fine to go in a colder first and then the rest heated to around the correct temperature.

I used to fill up water butts first and get to around the right temperature using a standard glass thermometer, but with 1300L tank, this was proving awkward and time consuming (and messy).

I would just get something like an flow restrictor/regulator or something in order to set the max flow rate so you don't have to worry about pressure/flow being too much for the carbon canister. Is the hose that's connected to the mixer tap something you connect disconnect yourself (i.e. kitchen sink or something) or is this permanently connected too?

Sponsored Links
Yes, the hose is permanently connected to the mixer taps too. I can remove, but the aquarium does have it's own set of taps just for use with it, so no need really. It's also plumbed in for water changes, so I just open a valve and the aquarium drains though a hole in the glass. You really need that kind of setup with a tank so large, otherwise it would take an age to do water changes each week.

I've been looking for some kind of regulator/restriction, but the only thing I can find is the likes of ball valves etc, which will do the job fine, but they don't give an indication of what is flowing though. Once I know though what to set the valve too, I should be good to leave it.

But the temperature is the worry as well. Again, struggling to find an inline thermometer of any kind. Someone suggested one that you use for showers to make sure it isn't too warm for babies. But not sure how this would all fit.

Do you need to regulate the flow to different flow rates depending on things or do you just need to make sure your not exceeding 9L/min? If its the latter then just putting in something like this should ensure it never goes above the 9L/min http://www.aquaflowregulators.co.uk/aquaflow-couplers.html

As for the temperature, what temp ranges are we talking about? i.e. you maintain around 20degrees for the aquarium and need to ensure 5degress +/- when filling.

Yes, that's correct. Just need to make sure it is below 9L/min. No need for it to be ever above. So that looks good! Thanks.

Yeah, it's usually around 26°C in the aquarium. 5°C either side of that not a problem. As long at the temp in the tank doesn't shoot up or down really quick, fish will be fine with a slow increase or decrease, with it then getting back to normal after the water change.

The temperature thing is going to be the challenge. something like this might give better accuracy https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/15867-REG/Delta_65010_Water_Temp_II_with.html and then you can adjust the hot/cold to try get to the current tank temperature. Can you see the current temperature from the mixer tap? If not then add something like a wireless thermometer (or long leaded one) and then add some kind of drain off tap that can be used to dump the water out of the line until it gets to the temperature you want.

Hope that makes sense and if not I could draw some kind of diagram to show.

Thanks guys, good suggestions and food for thought.

The Teco looks good, but you know...expensive. :cry: Before I got that, I think I'd see how it goes first with cheaper options. But something maybe for the future.

Thanks Omega, I get it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back